When you drop is it now or next year?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Currier, Jul 12, 2002.

1. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

I've always had a difficult time dropping clients once the season has started. I guess I feel a responsibility to get through it even when it becomes a "Hate to do their lawn" sort of thing.

Right now I have two that I would love to get rid of. My ?? Do you all survive then drop for the next year, or do you drop them mid season and move on? (extreme pyschos = no problem dropping anytime) I'm talking about the minor PITA that just seems to eat on your nerves just a little more than they should...
  2. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I always give 2 weeks notice, and tell them I am lightening my work load. Dont torture yourself the rest of the season. Believe me, If they wanted to drop you, it would be immediately.
  3. Anytime you feel the need, say "good bye"

Just make sure you do it nicely so you can save face.
  4. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

Excellent advice! One of these jokers adjusted my invoice! He felt I must have charges for a mowing I was not there for, never mind that it is a set monthly fee and I have busted fanny for these people on numerous occasions.

The other insists on the 21" and I just do not like these people. Kind of whinny and slimey. Maybe the fact that it is 105 degrees here has something to do with my inolerance of arrogance and stupidity! :)
  5. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Make sure you collect b4 you drop them.
  6. proline32

proline32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 98383

Don't feel quilty dropping a few customers, I do it all the time, you'll feel worse by keeping them and bearing with it.... The key is to make sure you get your money first, and then politely send them a letter that you have decided to just discontinue services and that you thank them for being a customer and good luck finding a replacement service....;)

I even dropped customers that I didn't care for by using the excuse that I was cutting back on accounts to take more time off to spend with the family, which is true by the way.

Oh yea, kenH is correct....... they would have no problem or guilt dropping you in an instant, think about that when you are dropping them.
  7. Posts like this makes me feel I should send fruit baskets to each of my customers.

One guy is cheating you out of your money and the other is TELLING you to mow with a 21"mower and these are MINOR PITAs' ??

What does it take to make you mad? Your composure is commendable.

I had a breakdown at some peoples' yard once. It was about two acres. I tracked down the lady of the house and explained that my big mower was broken down and that I'd finish it tomorrow.

She asked "Don't you have a trim mower?"

My jaw literally dropped! With my mouth hanging open all I could think of to say was a big stupid "Yeah". Then I just walked away. I mowed it the next day like I said I would.

8. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

I wonder if the guy who "adjusted invoice" does that with his utilities, house payment, car payment, ect???

Would he try that with his plumber or electrician???

I'd drop that scumball like a hot potato! :angry:

People who look upon us as "just the stinkin' lawn guy...no big deal" are dealt with immediately.

We are a service related industry...just like any other.
  9. ADMowing

ADMowing LawnSite Member
    from Florida

"Kind of whinny and slimey"

That kind of answered your question for me! :)

Let 'em go and whine at someone else. Not worth your trouble. We have enough stress without this.

Good Luck, Currier!

A & D
  10. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

Personally I usually just raises prices, until the PITA stuff becomes worth it for the money.