When you figure out the sq footage of a property..

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by MJK, Oct 16, 2006.

1. MJK

MJK LawnSite Senior Member

do you just do the length of it times the width? Including the house and drive way? I'm doing a sod job for a house and just wondered. THanks

Marc

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Subtract everything that wont be sodded and then you will have actual sq. yds. then add another 25% for cut and waste

3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

When I measure for a fert or lime or overseed I usually include the house and driveway, a little extra is good.
    On a sod job, I would think there would be alot left over and would be kinda exspensive for the homeowner to absorb. Ive never laid any sod, I dont know how much overlap or how much extra you allow according to your dimensions

wayne

4. NJLAWN#1

NJLAWN#1 LawnSite Member

Some questions on here amaze me. How do you get in the position to bid on this job without any common sense.

25% for cuts etc thats 2,500sqft on 10,000sqft that will leave you with 5 pallets of sod you need to remove from location i go for acurate measurements and round up sold over 500,000sqft of sod this year never came up short and at most had a pallet left over.

Accurate measurement is important in pricing and profiting

5. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree that there is absolutely no reason to need 25% more sod than the area you need to sod. Oredering an extra 500 square feet might be well worth the extra $150 to make sure you don't have to come back, though.

6. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

We just sod the drive and inside the house. Makes the math a lot easier.*trucewhiteflag*

7. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

You got to admit this site can be entertaining:clapping: Like i have posted many time i wonder if doctors have a site like this and make a thread of how to do brain surgery:hammerhead:
    Mike

8. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

Specialty work such as laying sod is different.....then you want to measure as accurately as possible so your bid isn't outrageous and offensive.....But for your basic maintenance I measure the entire property.....

9. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

for what its worth i add a yard of compost/leaf gro per 1,000 ft2 @ $90/yard and then lay sod.........as an option