When you fire a driver...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Aug 20, 2007.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Do you think it's a good idea to explain to your other drivers why you made the decision? Or should you just fire the bad apple and offer no explanation to the other drivers?

I fired a driver this weekend and my number one hand asked what was wrong. I just told him too many problems. I don't want my other drivers to be nervous about their job security. All of my other drivers are GOLD. They are the best. It's just that, if all my drivers acted like the one I had to fire, my business wouldn't even work.

Should I tell the remaining drivers that I am pleased with each of them and that there is NOTHING to worry about? I know when I was in corporate america, when I saw my co-workers being fired, it made me nervous and I eventually got out of there. I don't want my good drivers leaving me.

Advice appreciated,
    DFW Area Landscaper

2. another way of looking at is tell them why and then they will know better not to be doing whatever that was.

3. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

I would tell them how pleased you are with their work. A little non-monetary motivation to your employees never hurts, and can only make for a more positive work environment.

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

You're the owner...what you did is your say and no one else needs to know, period.

5. DFW Area Landscaper

from DFW, TX

Rodfather, you have several crews, from what I understand about you. Do you recommend I assure the other drivers that they need not fear for their employment?

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

6. rodfather

I would not say a word to them. It is NONE of their business. They do not need to know the specifics of why you let that person go at all. That was between you and him. The only thing THEY need to do is concentrate on doing THEIR job the best way they know how.

I came from corporate life as well being the Director of Training for Hertz for many ,many years. I had dozens of employees that answered to me directly. Do you think everytime I either fired or promoted someone I told everyone else all about it and explained why?

7. DFW Area Landscaper

from DFW, TX

Hey Rodfather, thanks for pointing that out. I won't assure the others that they have nothing to fear. If one or two of them quits me this winter, they quit. It'll be a little more of a pain in the butt, but I can deal with it.

Basically, I learned that this driver was cheating on his door hanger distributions and I came down easy on him. This was about 6 or 8 weeks ago, I'm guessing. I just confronted him about it and told him it was not acceptable.

His customer complaints were out of control and then there was another issue that came up so that was the "straw". But I fear it got back to the other drivers that I came down soft on cheating me with door hanger distributions. My sales calls from new prospects has dropped off pretty dramatically over the last month or so. I fear the other two drivers who also are distro'ing door hangers have started cheating a little too. Maybe this will set them straight if they're guilty too.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

8. rodfather

I let all of my people know that NO ONE is immune and absolutely NO ONE is irreplaceable...including the crew chiefs. At any one time, I will have anyone of them in my sights and I let them know they need to stay on their toes. I am running a business and you are my employees...this isn't some social gathering or club we have everyday at 7:30 in the am.

Layoff? I would let everyone know why and the circumstances. Termination? Only two people know what went on, me and him. And I document everything very well in case the Dept. of Labor gets involved down the road with a complaint filed.

9. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

It wouldn't hurt to let them know how much they are appreciated though, regardless of the current situation.

10. rodfather

Agreed...but keep the issues separate. You tell your people they are doing a great job when they are doing a great job....not to quell their potential nervousness when a fellow employee gets canned for whatever reason.