When you have a small Stihl engine...

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Mar 5, 2006.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

like the ones on their FC-75 blade edgers and FS-80 line trimmers, if they start getting hard to start, what is the first thing you should do or check?

Some of our older Stihl FC-75's & FS-80's are taking too much time to start at each lawn that we pull up to. The problem is worse after we've already mowed about 4 or 5 lawns.

We pull the rope, it starts to sputter like it needs more fuel. We slowly pull the throttle and then it's like someone is turning the choke on to intentionally kill the engine or something. It's like the engine isn't getting the proper mixture of fuel and air. After we repeat the process a few times, they will eventually start. Once we get them running at full throttle, they are good to go for the entire lawn. Then something happens in the time it takes to get to the next lawn because we are repeating the entire process at every house.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

2. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Start with the easy stuff.
    Make sure of the gas/oil mix they like premium gas.
    New plug.
    Check the screen.

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

You forgot the fuel filter.

4. twj721

twj721 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a FS 85 that i bought last yeatr and am hving the same problem scared it is the carb really think that it is flooding it self after you kill the engine but that and $1.39 will buy you a coke at McDonalds
    Hope this helps any body else having the same problem beside those that are posted before this post ?

5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

If the above mentioned doesnt work, you can try rebuilding the carb.

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

And be sure the vent is working....don't know how to check it. I think the vent is in the cap? None of our old units start on first pull, we "feather" the choke to get them up to speed. I always buy some new trimmers each year and the first thing I do is try a new carb on any old unit not running well. I had an Echo today that I rebuilt the carb but it didn't act correct so I put one of the new carb on it and it ran like a new unit. Apparently I didn't get some port cleaned in the old carb!

7. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Also I would check the compression also, the engine may be getting tired

wayne