When you loose an account...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by procut, Apr 4, 2007.

1. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

is it appropriate to ask who it went to. Earlier today, I got a phone call from a customer (now former customer) who said that they have found someone to mow there lawn for a "more reasonable price." I wanted to ask so bad who it was, but didn't.

BTW: I was doing it for $25.00, I guess it can get more reasonable than that.

Your opinions.

2. mulchmaster

mulchmaster LawnSite Member
    from ohio

I'd say you weren't making enough money anyway!! Now go find a better one, and make some money. payup payup

3. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

You already were dirt cheap.
    Now its being done for practicly free.
    Keep an eye on it and see what happens maybe you'll see who is doing it.

4. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I couldn't care less about this lawn, I have many other accounts that I make literally 10X more on, it just always stings a little when you miss out becuase of a lowballer.

Now would anyone else like to actually answer the question?

5. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

If it was a longtime customer I would have asked. If you only had it for a year or two I would not ask. Now a days alot of people are looking for the cheapest company to maintain their property. I don't have a problem asking my customers questions if I loose a lawn. It is a good way to find out the who's, why's and what went really went wrong with a customer. If it really is not just the price.

As for the comment about being dirt cheap by redmax man. How do you know his costs and even the size of property he was cutting.

JP

6. WALKER LANDSCAPE

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

Go ahead and ask sometimes you find that there is no one and they are just trying to get you to come down even lower. I have asked before actually a few times.

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

You can always ask ........"do you mind telling me who is doing the yard and how much they are charging".

8. bigtex

bigtex LawnSite Member
    from ma

I Don't Take Myself (too) Seriously, I've Lost Accounts Before Also To Lowballers, And Will Ask Straight Up Who And How Much. I Always Remember There Are Alot Of People Out There Who Are Assholes And Have There Own Agenda, Forgetabout'em.

9. milsaps118

milsaps118 LawnSite Senior Member

Is it appropriate to ask??? Hell yeah! Why not. When the customer calls and says game over, you lost to some other LCO, I'd ask. At that point, who cares if its good, or bad etiquette to ask. One of 2 things are going to happen. 1) They either tell you. 2) They don't. You have nothing to loose and nothing to feel embarrassed (bad) about. Just ask politely and act surprised. :drinkup:

10. nick-bigfootlawn

nick-bigfootlawn LawnSite Member

I wouldn't ask, seems a little unprofessional to me.