When you say contract? Discription

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jdjoe_97, Mar 14, 2001.

1. jdjoe_97

jdjoe_97 LawnSite Member

Hello again all. I see you all talking a lot about this little pieces of papers called contracts! I have been mowing for five seasons and haven't signed one yet. I am not bragging on this fact just presenting it as a fact. The first one I saw was a 11 acres cemetary who had there own one written to present to me.

My question when you guys are saying contract, what exactly are you meaning?? Are you talking something similar to a work order with materials and labor and dates and such...? Are you writing these or having a lawyer do it?? I understand a $500 job may not justify the lawyer, so you may write it yourself. Or perhaps do you consult a local lawyer and get a "Generic" form you use to cover every one your write??

I do understand the benifits to a contract, and would like to get more informed so I can begin doing it. Currently with my customers I send a letter in Feb. stating that I am in the process of creating my new schedule. I them show them the price they paid last season and tell them what this season price will be. I then have them sign it and return it to me as aknowlegement (sp) of having me provide there lawncare at said price. I really don't quite think this is a "contract", just the way I have been doing it. Thanks so much for any help. Joe
  2. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

well, that is a contract isnt it? what i do is this; in the contract i state how many times the lawn will be cut per season, that it will be cut and trimmed on each visit, and edged every other visit. that if it rains we will make up that cut within 3 days, if it still raing during this time, we will cut on your next regularly shceduled day, no refunds(we charge a flat monthly rate) cutting height is 2 3/4 inches. the price per cut along with their other maintenance(spring and fall cleanup, fert, etc) add it all up, divide by 10 months, this is the monthly fee. and payments are due the first of the month, etc. this helps avoid problems, and also acts as a written agreement if i need to seek help collecting from a deadbeat
  3. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Our contracts entail the following:
    pg.1) A COVER LETTER

Good Luck this season!