When you started out...

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by DrGreenThumb, Apr 25, 2008.

1. DrGreenThumb

DrGreenThumb LawnSite Member

When you all started out did it ever feel like you bought more tools than the money you actually made?? Just wondering cause this is killing me though I feel like im addicted to buying tools, maybe its just being a man, LOL
  2. Turf Commando

Turf Commando LawnSite Bronze Member

Buying an arsenal of tools and equipment - work is bad business ...
  3. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

I bought a good amount of tools at the begining of this year, it is addicting. You need the right tools for the right job
  4. Think of it this way. It may cost you right now, but in the future the tools will be working for you. Why work yourself to death and spend hours of extra time on a job, when with the proper tool you can knock it out in half the time. It's really tough when you are starting a new business, but I already know that I would be hating life right now if I didn't have some of the tools I've acquired. Just make sure you really need the tools and that your not just buying them for the hell of it. And if your really that addicted to it, you can find some incredible deals at pawn shops.
  5. N.H.BOY

N.H.BOY LawnSite Bronze Member

I was like this when I bought my paddle broom==520 bucks and I thought after I bought "crap that was alot of money" but man-o-man best money ever spent. saved me sooooooo much time and it makes the lawn looking sweet. So some times you need to think in the long run you will save time and time is money:clapping:
  6. IMAGE

IMAGE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

tools are good! man it sucks paying for them. But it is easy to see how much time they save you, and how much money they can make you.

Kind of the rake vs the backpack blower. $10 vs $400, 4 hr clean up vs 20 minute clean up?
  7. lawnkingforever

lawnkingforever LawnSite Bronze Member

I am part-time, and glad that I'm not a tool buying addict. I only buy equipment that fits my business needs. I am in this to collect bank, not equipment. There is a point where you can have too much stuff.

TOOMUCHWALKING LawnSite Member

Tools are cheaper and more dependable than helpers. I have what's considered too much equipment, but I use them all and you do need spares...:walking:
  9. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

See id say its better to be addicted to tools then drinking or women. At least tools dont take all your money when they leave and make you puke. You can never have to many tools andbody who would argue against that is a moron. And thats my back wood nature coming out. If you dont have it its just gonna cost you in the long run. So buy away man buy away
  10. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic