When you started.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Darren Lumpkins, May 12, 2008.

1. Darren Lumpkins

Darren Lumpkins LawnSite Member

OK..I have not seen it yet! So I wanted to be the first to post! When you first said to yourself..I wanna go into business for myself. What did you think? Did family/friends back you with your idea? Did your scare yourself at first with it? How long did it take you to get jobs/customers? And what would have you done different before you started?

1. What did I think? (man am i really doing this)

2. Did family/friends back your with your idea? (yes not one person said i could`nt)

3. Did you scare yourself at first? (More stressed that scared)

4. How long did it take you to get jobs/customers? (within one week..takes time or at-least it did for me)

5. What would I have done different? (more thought out ways to talk to people) But its a leaning curve!

Just wanted to see what others have to say about when they started!

2. born2farm

born2farm LawnSite Bronze Member

well since im really just gettin started i will throw what i am feeling out there right now.

1. Right now i am feeling that there is alot of work to do in this field once i get experienced in everything. I am also having thoughts on if I should of went alone or worked for someone first.

2. Most of my family back me but i dont bring them into the buisness to much.

3. Ya im kind of scared if im getting in to deep to fast but I know it will pay off in the end.

4. I have been building up customer base for 3 years and still dont have nearly enough to get by.

5. I would of sat down and thought out my plans more and spent more time getting finances ready before going in and making sure I have all the equipment I need.

good topic

3. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I can tell that you have never been to college...

1st thing is, that family and friends will say "your Crazy " and give ya a million reasons why NOT to do it...

simply because they know you will be riseing above them, they dont want you above them, they want ya below them.....

It took me NO time to get customers. in fact I turned a profett from day 1.

Good luck

4. When I told a good friend of mine my plan and how I would have more time with the family, he fell on the ground laughing so hard, I said what he said you will figure it out, I did. Nobody has any idea how much time you need to put into it to make it work.

5. Darren Lumpkins

Darren Lumpkins LawnSite Member

That's unfair of you to assume. Yes I have been to college. Did I finish no. But I made that choice. And not one person in my family or a friend has told me that I could not do this. But then again..It may be the drive I have behind myself! And as for others in the family..Do have family members that are above me. as your put it. But as a family we have always wanted more for each other!

Sorry thats just a sad way to look at things.