when you take on new customers then they drop you after you

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dingo, Apr 17, 2000.

1. Dingo

Dingo LawnSite Member
    from TN

I have taken on some customers this spring and they said at the beginning that they wanted it all summer so i didnt charge them more for the first cut (scalping cut) which takes a considerable amount of more time. Then they drop me and say they are going to do it themselves. this really pisses me off cause i took the guys word that they would be with me all year so i didnt charge him more. I know its not because of the quality of my work its they just did it so they didnt have to pay a few more bucks. <br>Dingo

2. River Hill

River Hill LawnSite Member

I always charge atleast $10.00 more for the first cut. I always edges there driveways and walkways so I have to. If the have never been edged before, I sometimes charge $10.00 more for the first two cuts. I guess next time you could tell them you would wave the $10.00 fee if they stay with you atleast 1 month. Just kock the $10.00 off there last cut.

3. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Dingo,<br>Better to lose them now and make room for a better customer, this customer would have been a pain in the ass most likely.

4. Getmow

Getmow LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

You have just learned a valuable lesson dealing with homeowners. Get a signed agreement for year round service or charge extra for the initial clean up. Luckily this leasson was inexpensive.

5. FIREMAN

FIREMAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from n.j.

THIS HAPPENS BECAUSE PEOPLE SUCK....PLAIN AND SIMPLE....THERE IS NO ROOM FOR ERROR IN CHARGING BECUASE THE GENERAL PUBLIC WILL TRY TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF ANYONE THEY CAN. CERTAIN PEOPLE SEEM TO THINK THAT JUST BECAUSE YOU CUT LAWNS/LANDSCAPE FOR A LIVING THAT YOU ARE NOT AS GOOD AS THEM...I SAY HAHAHA I MAKE A GOOD LIVING AND I NEVER WASTED TIME WITH COLLEGE SO I GUESS WHAT I MEAN IS BE CAREFUL AND ALWAYS CAHRGE FOR EVERYTHING.

6. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

fireman, i like how you think!

7. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

This is so true Fireman. I have to example of that in the past week. A women was leaving and paid me before she left which was nice. But she couldn't find her dog that had gotten out of the house. She told me if i found him not to take off with him. She wasn't kidding. Another woman had to leave and she also paid me before hand. Then she aks me if I was going to finish the job. What do I have a I am a crook writtn on my face lol YOu just want to say f u but u can't. Back to the original post. I agree this was a valuable lesson you learned. Alot of homeowners put there equipment in the shop too and let their yard get overgrowned and make out like you are going to get it for the whole year if u just straighten it out for them. Ya right. This is a old scam. It doesnt matter if they go to church 7 days a week. Always charge the going rate and if you get the yard good and if u don't you haven't been screwed over.

8. mattingly

mattingly LawnSite Member

I learned early on from this forum to never offer anything free up front. This prevents you from ever getting burned. Offer something free at the end of the contract or season. Then you don't have to give it to them until you received your loot.<br><p>----------<br>Integrated Landscape Solutions<br>Lexington, KY

9. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

had the same thing happen to me last week just part of residential business went out to bid 2 weeks ago told the lady my price which was higher then (Whoever)? from last year that was mowing.she took several days to get back to me to schedule cutting i cut the yard which was high . I have been doing this long enuff that i can just about tell by how i feel inside that she was gonna call and say i am canceling service wich she did Bottom line good residentials are hard to find.PS i am not racist but i sure have had bad luck dealing with oriantal ladys they seem to use there limited vocabulary to there advantage and dont respect your time very well

10. Gus

Gus LawnSite Member

Its better that these people showed their colors early and saved you later misery. When I first started in ths business I took lost customers personally but what usually happens is they screw themselves by hiring some hacks <br>beacause they`re cheaper.Many time they`ll <br> call and beg me to come back. My reply is usualy &quot;sorry all booked up&quot;. Getting customers is really pretty damn easy; the weeding out process can be a ***** though.