When you were just an employee, what bosses did you work the hardest for and why?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by cookedonphonics, Dec 27, 2005.

1. cookedonphonics

cookedonphonics LawnSite Member

I had several bosses over the years and I always found that the ones that pushed me the hardest were the ones I enjoyed working for most....and ironically the ones that I would "go the extra mile for". They seemed to make me a better employee.
    It also seemed that these were the same guys that weren't afraid to get their hands dirty and also seemed to be the ones that "rewarded" us with the little things that the others didn't...

Example... You have "X" amount of whatever to get done in 8 hours. Get it done (properly) in less than 8 hours... I'll still pay you for 8 but you can split early.:drinkup:
    Obviously this is just one example but I'm sure there are many others...

So back to the question....
    When you were just an employee, what bosses did you work the hardest for and why?

2. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I worked hardest for the bosses that respected me the most. Those that didn't respect me I screwed over the most. And by respect I mean those bosses who let me do my job, and weren't watching over me constantly trying to micromanage everything I did. I always feel that I am capable of doing the job once instructed, I don't need to be watched over like a damned idiot. Although I wasn't much of a worker for anyone else like I am for myself.

3. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

i agree with mtdman. Its mostly respect, if the boss showed he cared about his employees then i showed him back with production and being a good worker. :) You have to care about your people if you want your people to care about you! It's a vicious cycle but rewarding.

4. makfence

makfence LawnSite Member

I had just got out of The Marine corps. and got a job for a off shore oil drilling co. in New Orleans. The owner was a old cranky red neck plus the forman was a real hard a#*@. Me in this other guy were chiping and grinding paint off of this piece of equipment. temp 95 in the shade with 95% humidaty. I just had stood up to stretch my back and the owner walked in, and said to me. what are you doing worm. I had to take that crap from the DI`S IN boot camp. So I told the jerk to give me my check with a few choice words , and walked out. :gunsfirin :realmad: