When your schedule is full ???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PLS-Tx, Apr 8, 2007.

1. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

How do you guys handle people that come up to you and inquire about service when you are working?

Yesterday, we had a full schedule, like we do everyday, did about 18-20 lawns, needed to do more. Had one guy stop and wait for us to come over to his car to talk to him. He asked if we were on a schedule, wanted a one time cut. I felt like telling him, "No, were not on a schedule, sure will be over to your place as soon as we're finised here." Yeah right, we have a 30k truck, 8k trailer, 20k in mowers, and all these other tools, just hoping someone like you will come along and ask us to do your lawn.

We had another guy come up from across the street from a lawn we were doing and asks, "How much do you charge." I tell him our schedule is full, sooo he asks, "How much do you get for that lawn," and I tell him that is between me and my customer. So he asks, "How much for this lawn," pointing to the lawn he came from. I tell him our schedule is full, no need to give a price. I don't think it was his house, I think he was just visiting friends.

I don't want to be rude to people, but I get tired of my time being wasted

I'm just wondering how some of you handle these situations.

I like having my truck and trailer lettered, but I hate ignorance.

Oh, and I could say a few things about customers that waste your time, but that is another subject. We have "trained" most of ours but there are still a few that just don't get it.

2. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah saying your schedule is full is like it is getting darker sooner. I just hired another guy to keep me up. Looking for another about may and we will see from there. Crazy winter and people are looking to have stuff done. i am about 5 weeks out on extras. Hope to catch up soon, like july. good luck. No worked for a while but adding on employees or temps works best as long as you are making money.

3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

It would have taken you less time to give him a price and tell him you were full up than to be rude and evade his question. You run a lawn care service, says so right on your truck, you have to expect people to ask you questions and want quotes, regardless of what your schedule looks like. Be polite.

4. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

I keep cards in my wallet just for that. Sorry sir my schedule is full is is so and so. Back to mowing

5. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

if we're full and too busy to entertain "walk ups" while on the job, i just tell them to "call my boss" at the number on the trailer. oh yeah thats me, he doesnt need to know that, taht way when he keeps asking i can simply say i dont know, i just mow. that way it doesnt interfere with work if we're busy, other times ill ask where the lawn is first, if its close to others and we can squeeze it in, we'll go look when we have time.

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Schedule full? Not on your life. :nono:

7. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

A lot of people forget when they came from the time where the would hope for a walk up or someone to inquire about your service(s). I don't see how you having a 30k truck and zillions in equipment have anything to do with one-time cuts.

I have 2 30k trucks with the same if not more equipment and I'll still entertain the one-time cut if the money is right. In fact, I usually send one of my guys over to do it and that goes towards his/her pay. Money is money my friend.

8. Palmer'sLS

Palmer'sLS LawnSite Senior Member

very well said:clapping:

9. tomgolfs44

tomgolfs44 LawnSite Member

We had 22 clients to service Friday. Starting @ 7:00 and looking to finish @ 4:30. Had two walk-up clients on either side of a current client ask for bids while we were there. I bid them at the high end of my range, bid was accepted, we completed them in 40 minutes and were done for the day @ 5:00. Bottom line......picked up two quality accounts, giving me 3 houses in a row, and was only out for 30 minutes longer than I expected. It would take a pretty serious set of events for me to turn down a walk-up at this time of year.....this is where I grab a lot of new accounts for the season.

10. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

IMO if somebody is directly across the street or a couple houses away from where I am already working every week and they want me to start doing there lawn also every week I will go ahead and give them a price even if my schedule is full. For a normal size residential what does it take, maybe 10-12 minutes to cut-trim and blow off? Its all about keeping your route tight and any time we can get lawns in the same neighborhood we go ahead and take them even if we are booked full.