1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Julio Medina, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Julio Medina

Julio Medina LawnSite Member
    from IL

When should I start trying to get customers if I want to start in 2007? I`m in IL
  2. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

shoot for the end of winter or way way early spring at the latest. hit them hard...how do you plan to advertise flyers?
  3. Chris.S

Chris.S LawnSite Member

START NOW!!!!

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Even better---Start Yesterday!!!

You need to network all the time
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

BAM! Exactly. fall is an EXCELLENT time to get started, because of the amount of work (cleanups) that is out there.
  6. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Yep, start now. The earlier the better. I don't think it's unreasonable to try and obtain new business at ANY time of the year.
  7. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Get some leaf cleanups and make some money now! You can use the cash to invest in the spring. Here in Mass we start spring cleanups shortly after the 15th of march. You should have a game plan set up by the end of Feb if you want to get your name out there and pick up some quality accounts. Local papers work good around here. Just watch out for the people out there who just want to save money any way they can. Set a minimum price and stick to it. I went 0 for 4 with my first estimates. Now I have 46 accounts in my first year. Its not hard to get accounts, but just dont let yourself get taken advantage of by some fast talker who wants to save 2 dollars over last years price.
  8. Shopkeeper

Shopkeeper LawnSite Member

I noticed that a lot of you guys said start trying to get customers now, but I have a question about that...

If I were to put out flyers now (I have already put out 200+ and only gotten 1 call) should I put them out again in say...February? Also, besides flyers what is another relatively cheap and extremely effective way to get customers besides news paper ads and word of mouth?

9. Chris.S

Chris.S LawnSite Member

What do the flyers that you put out look like? where did you put out these flyers? there could be all types of problems here! 1 response in 200 flyers is not good percentages!
  10. Shopkeeper

Shopkeeper LawnSite Member

They were very bland this time around and mainly to land aeration jobs. (I got 1 aeration job off the fliers and the rest were from a friends step-father.) Before, I put out nicer looking fliers (55 before I ran out of fliers and time) and got 1 call off that and then multiple jobs off the one call.

Besides all that, I know my flyers were lacking and needed more "umph" and if you'd like to give me suggestions on how to give the flyers more "umph" that'd be awesome! Color is expensive but I'm willing to do it, but I would prefer black and white for the cost.