Whens too late?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by guntruck, Apr 13, 2001.

1. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

We have a job going to be completed on the 17th of april, a couple of days away. I have a guy adding topsoil bringing everything up to grade, then its my job to go and overseed and get grass growing. Now here the premium blend our dealers recommend are a 3-way fescue. I also may have access to a buddy who maybe can hydroseed this lawn. My wquestion is if i overseed at about 8-10lbs per m/sqft and topdress with peatmoss (which we have had great luck with) will i get good germination, or would i have better luck with hydroseeding? If i had no access to a hydroseeder would i be ok starting a brand new lawn with just the overseeding? We planned on seeding then rolling the seed for good seed to soil contact then top-dressing. Thanks guys.

2. hydro seeding is supposed to be a lot better than doing regular seeding. i have never done it. however you are supposed to get a denser lawn from it. so if i was you i would so the hydroseeding. if you can.

3. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

Hydro's nice, and works, but lightly water often ( 3-5 times at 5 minutes a day. New seed likes to die. Dave g

4. Sean Gassman

Sean Gassman LawnSite Member

Hydroseeding when applied properly will save you on labor with superior results. Less mess, even seed distribution, and quiker germination.

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

You should get good results either way. I've started several new lawns from seed and never hydro seeded. I always roll the seed after I put it out to make good seed-ground contact. I seem to get better germination rates by rolling. It keeps the customer from washing the seed away also.

6. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

not too much seeding down here,other than rye winter grass.its all sod around here

7. Fescue takes forever to germinate.

How do YOU expect to control erosion in the meantime?

8. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

I realize you've probably already done this project but thought I would add my wisdom at this point. The first question is how steep is the grade? If just a few small not too steep hills throw down some Penn Mulch or the Lesco equivalent in addition to the seed. Then with the grading and then adding peat moss and rolling you should be in great shape. Don't roll with anything too heavy unless you really want to aerate it heavily in the fall. Hydroseeding is great for roadsides and fairly steep lawns. Good Luck.

9. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Im with chad, i was reading the posts with my mouth open and a dumb look on my face, over seeding, hydroseeding??? I am doing a sod job tomorow though.

10. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Tobacco netting works great and is cheap (free around here).