Where’s The Best Place For Lights On a Zero Turn?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Eric D, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Eric D

Eric D LawnSite Senior Member

As fall gets closer the lack of sunlight comes sooner each evening. I’m planning on adding some lights to my Z Master. Possible locations include the roll bar, or front caster wheel housing. The roll bar would allow a higher mounting than I think would be the better choice to improve lighting. I normally have the ROP in the full up position.

I sure would appreciate any suggestions or thoughts on placement.

Thanks,

Eric D

2. joshco84

joshco84 LawnSite Senior Member

i think on the roll bars is a good option. the only problem is there is not a good spot on a ztr for lights. your going to break them wherever you put them, if you are not carefull.

3. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Grasshopper has the best placement for lights. My Turf Tiger has a mounting kit to put them just in front of the control levers. It's worked out well so far. I don't over tighten them so they will give if they hit an object. My Lazer has an optional kit for the roll bar but I would tear them off with tree limbs so that's a non starter for me.

4. Andrew's Lawn Maintenance

Andrew's Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Member

Do the lights on the lazer z run off the engine or of the battery. more as do they shut off when you turn off the mower.

5. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

My Wildcat has lights mounted as you mentioned. I find the front of mower and deck tends to cast a shadow close to front and especially to left side for close trimming. I think a higher mount with lights tilted down to eliminate shadows would help. I've been thinking of mounting some on the ROPS

6. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

First let me say that I think lights on a ZTR are pointless. Even if you mow at night you still cannot string trim and lights will not work well until it is completely dark, dawn conditions are always low visibility. Anyway, if you are going to mow at night for whatever reason then top of the roll bar seems to be the best location for overall lighting and increased visibility.

7. Eric D

Eric D LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks everyone for your input and thoughts. It really helps with deciding on where to put the lights.

tacoma200, would you happen to know where I might see a picture of the light mounting in front of the control levers? I would really like to see how they did this.

lawnmaniac883, I have no plans of cutting at night, just to finish what can’t be done before the loss of early evening light. It gets dark early up here in Michigan as fall come in. Really early once we are place back to standard time over day light savings.

Thanks again guys! I’ll post photos of the installation.

Eric D

8. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Have fun mowing in the dark because I will be home...:laugh:

9. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

wherever yiou put them, be prepared to get eaten alive by bugs. They will be drawn to the lights. This comes from experience from growing up on the farm and cutting hay late into the night on an open station tractor where the lights were mounted right beside the drivers seat.

aotriple7 likes this.
  10. DEEJ

DEEJ LawnSite Member

On my 60" Laser I mounted two 35W halogen lights under the the front floor pan (just under the area where my feet rest). Mounted under there, they are well protected and never get hit. I akso mounted one on the back of the machine so there is light for backing up.

I agree that this is an awesome idea. In the fall it is not unusual to require a little extra time to finish up as it gets dark. Personally I never have problems with bugs attracted by the lights. It is cooler at the time of year the lights are used (so fewer/no bugs).

The lights are wired into the electrical system with a fuse and a neatly mounted switch on the dash (1 for front lights, 1 for rear).

I have them wired in such a way that I can use the lights with the key off - just the way I wanted it. You could do it either way. I am smart enough not to leave them on and walk away.

You have to be careful to choose the correct wattage of lights. You have to determine the output of the alternator for the particular engine you have, figure what the electric clutch uses (biggest power draw), and other devices use, then figure out what is left to run lights. If the total you are drawing for everything is more than the alternator puts out, you will run the battery down. If you stay below the threshold, you can run the lights all day and the system will keep up.

deej