1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

where a bushhog won't go

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sneaky, Aug 29, 2004.

1. Sneaky

Sneaky LawnSite Member

Needing to cut several spots around septic tanks that are fenced in. These spots haven't been cut in about 6 months and are about 5 feet tall. Once I get them cut the first time I can maintain them. Any suggestions of what to use would be appreciated.
  2. Steve1

Steve1 LawnSite Senior Member

Napalm comes to mind. :D Just kidding...

Regardless, you need to walk the area first to make sure there aren't any surprises waiting!

The way I would do it would be to take a few feet of it off by hand if possible with something like a heavy duty string trimmer and then mow from there with whatever might fit/work the best for the type of growth you're dealing with.
  3. Saxman

Saxman LawnSite Member

Troy-bilt sickle bar mower! I have one that will cut stuff like that easy, 1-2" sprouts as well. Would be the perfect soulution for that area.
  4. Sneaky

Sneaky LawnSite Member

Thanks guys. Thought about renting a self-propelled brush mower like that.
  5. printer88

printer88 LawnSite Member

Home depot's billy goat works pretty good.Daily rental is not too high either.
  6. Andyinchville2

Andyinchville2 LawnSite Member

Dr Field mower works great....will handle very tall growth and small saplings.....I have the classic model w/ 8 HP and it's great.....I tried one of their newer ones but I like the classic model better because it is lighter and if (unlikely) gets stuch it is light enough to lift out.....Other models are way too heavy to do that....
  7. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

I often use hedge trimmers where access is a problem. Trimmer with cutter blade works good if u got room to swing.