Where are all the good gas cans?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sweetland, Dec 28, 2011.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I like the eagle safety cans, metal with metal spout, only downsides are that they are extremely expensive and somewhat slow to pour fuel out of.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. towtruck212

towtruck212 LawnSite Member

3. ralph02813

ralph02813 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Charlestown, RI

Has anyone tried the eagle metal gas cans, I know they are pricey in comparison, but from the reviews I have read, the pour like the old cans, and because they are metal the ethanol is supposedly not affected as much.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BQO15I...e=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B000BQO15I

4. danrclem

danrclem LawnSite Member

If you want a vent in your can you can use a valve stem like the ones used on a car wheel. Drill a hole the correct OD in your can, take the core out of the stem, thread a very flexible piece of wire through the stem, thread the wire through the hole that you drilled and pull the stem out the hole. Use the cap to close it off when not pouring.

Disclaimer; I read this on another site and haven't done it yet so don't blame me if you try it and ruin your gas can. :laugh: It does sound like a good idea though.

5. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I use the one's in question but, I too am looking for something new. I tried the eagle cans but, didn't like it. I thought it was too hard to refill with gas\oil. I had the one with the funnel. What do the larger companies use?

6. psdnate

psdnate LawnSite Member

I was told by a stihl dealer that the new cans with the lock keep the ethanol from sucking up moisture because they don't vent. What I don't like about them is when its hot they blow up like a balloon and in the winter the shrivel up due to they don't vent. My 5 gal. can I can probably only get 4 gal. in it in the winter because it shrivels up so much. I'm waiting for the can to brake at the corners where it expands and contracts.

7. ralph02813

ralph02813 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Charlestown, RI

take a peak at the one I sent the link on it has no funnel but a long spout

8. sweetland

sweetland LawnSite Bronze Member

That's te scary thing about the cans we are using. Just like you said, during the summer it's like holy **** someone go relieve the pressure before it blows up and right now it looks half the size it normally does. There HAS to be a better way.

The eagle cans are hard to refil but also an awkward shape to pour because of squeezing the handle back
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Mikegyver

Mikegyver LawnSite Bronze Member

The only thing I have found new that is worth a flip is the Briggs and Stratton cans. They only last about 6 months though. I do have a place that has a bunch of new old stock of the old cans...only problem is that its in KS. My mom and brother are up there now I will have them get me as many as I can afford. Those cans really are good.
    Mike

10. sweetland

sweetland LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Mike,
    Do they ship?
    Posted via Mobile Device

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.