1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Where are all the good gas cans?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sweetland, Dec 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sweetland

sweetland LawnSite Bronze Member

Where are you located? Need me to take a few of those off your hands??
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

NO, I'm good, but thanks for the offer:laugh:.
  3. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

I was at an estate auction a few months ago and got 4 of the old style cans with the yellow vent cap and yellow spout. 2 of them are only 1 gallon cans and the other 2 are 5 gallon. The bonus, I got them for free! :D
  4. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

yeah i miss the old style of cans with the flexible pouring spout and a vent you popped off at the back of the can. i do have one of the 5 gallon newer/older blitz cans like the first picture in this thread and i have a 1 gallon blitz can with that stupid lever you have to push down while pouring. it's a pain since you have to move that little switch in order to push the lever down. you almost need 3 hands to work that thing lol. i have to push the switch and push the lever down and then pick up the can while holding the lever down to pour. i use the smaller can for oil/gas mix. it's not that big of a problem but it is annoying. i think i'll try those no spill cans next time. i've seen them at the farmers co-op for sale.

usually i fill my mower up straight from the pump. even that is annoying since it cuts off way before the tank is completely full. then you have to keep putting gas in bit by bit because it fills up and then the level drops down. these newer gas tanks are annoying too lol.
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  5. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I know what you mean about filling your tank. Try grabbing the ROPS and gently shaking the mower side to side with one hand while filling it with the other. It helps all the air escape while the gas is still going in, and saves on time, not to mention that it allows you to completely fill the tank right to the bottom of the filler neck with ease.
  6. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

That's what I'm looking for. The one I bought had 1 hole and a funnel.
  7. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

ok i'll give it a try the next time i fill up. :cool2:
  8. BPS##

BPS## LawnSite Senior Member
    from WY

I stocked up at china mart last summer on the style in the first post.
    I've got enough to last a whole bunch of years.
  9. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

ATV and car race cans. Not really sure the name of them, VP makes a nice one. very quick to pour out, vented and have a long filler tube so less mess when fueling with them. I googled 'race fuel cans' and found some that look like the ones we use.
  10. appalachianoutdoors

appalachianoutdoors LawnSite Senior Member

CHINA Mart - all they rolled back was the number of American jobs.:usflag:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.