Where are flyers legal?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by proenterprises, Oct 6, 2004.

1. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

Whats the verdict for flyers, I dont think they can go in the mailbox/paper box. Not on the box itself?

I am going to be doing some leaf advertising soon and need to know where it is ok to post them.

2. Lawnchoice

Lawnchoice LawnSite Senior Member

You can't have them touch any part of the mailbox itself.

We get tacks and rubber bands and attach however possible!

Good luck!

Lawnchoice

3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Why Flyers? 4x8 sheet of plywood on each side of truck with cell # and leaf collection written tastefully, and equipment abourd. Just drive slowly around neighborhood and when the call comes your set to work.

Mac

4. Lawnchoice

Maybe you could have a speaker with music going like the ice cream man too!

Lawnchoice

5. joburnet

joburnet LawnSite Member

We've done over 10,000 flyers so far for my intial business set up.

We mostly put them on the mailbox between the box itself and the flag thing. I also put them in newspaper box's sometimes if they are there or slip them in the mailbox if the door to it is open.

I haven't gotten any calls or complaints about them yet and probably wouldn't stop this form of advertising unless the police called me.

-Chris

6. boxoffire

boxoffire LawnSite Member

Better watch out with the mailboxes. I live in Raleigh, NC and started putting some out a couple of weeks ago (I'm new to the business) and got busted by the mailman big time. I had put out about 30-40 around an old neighborhood I grew up in and was attaching them to the post underneath BEHIND the mailbox itself (nowhere near it really) with the little pushpins with my flyer and business card inside a little cheap freezer baggy. He said don't put anything on ANY PART OF THE MAILBOX or the SUPPORTING pole(s) of the mailbox. Handed me an official document from Postal Service and let me have it. Really was an a$$hole if you ask me. I told him I called at least before doing it and woman told me it was ok to attach to pole behind mailbox itself but his document said otherwise. I also told him people do it at my house before. He started talking about people getting their mail stolen and then their identities stolen and I looked at him and just said yeah it's a sad world we live in now, but if somebody is gonna do that, then they are going to do it regardless really. He thought I was getting smart but I really wasn't. Like I said a real butthead. So I started backtracking just so I could cover myself and take the 30-40 off the poles I had already done, proceeded to almost break my ankle in one driveway when I rolled it. Luckily it popped back and only got sore for a while. Got I think 99% of the ones I had done and went home. That night in my carport, I was taking all of my baggy flyers and putting some small rocks in them and my cell phone rang. Wouldn't you know it, it was the postmaster calling to warn me not to put flyers on mail posts near the mailboxes. That butthead turned me in. He either found 1 that I missed or took one off the ground NEAR the mailbox where I left some and turned my # into his boss. Anyway, I explained my case and asked for a break and he said he would only warn me this time and asked for my mailing address so he could send me the warning and do his job of getting me that official document the mailman showed me earlier that day. Funny I was stuffing rocks in my baggies at the time too. Anyway asked him what fine was if I did it again and he said min. $100 plus like $1 per flyer per mailbox pole. YIKES! I won't do that again. It was a nice cool day and I didn't mind walking around the neighborhood that day, but now I'm riding around in my Jeep and selectively throwing the flyers in driveways near the paper or whereever, and saving my ankles from being broken and getting all tired walking around.

Just to let you know....

Adam

7. joburnet

joburnet LawnSite Member

Boxoffire,

Thats very odd, up here people put flyers on mailboxs a lot, its common for me to go to a neighborhood and find that all the mailboxs already have flyers on them.

Also, the general population up here expects flyers on their mailbox's and appreciates them as a means to find services.

If I ran into the problem you did there, I would go with direct mailings. I think you can do that for around $.25-$.27 a piece, also, door hangers wold work too, I don't think they could get you for that.

Also, never underestimate the value of standing your ground, people will complain sometimes, but if I got flack from someone for putting something on their doorknob, I just wouldn't do their house next time.

-Chris

8. proenterprises

does anyone know if it is fair game to put them inside of the newspaper box?

it seems like that is totally not related to the mail itself (being they are separate businesses?)

I think I will have to go this route if I can, being that most houses have long drives, and walking to doors would waste alot of time.

ANY MORE INPUT PLEASE?

9. Lawnchoice

Put them right in the newspaper boxes!

As long as there isn't any way that it would be difficult for the newspaperman/woman to deliver, it should be fine!

Lawnchoice

10. proenterprises

Do you think it would actually get into the peoples hands. I think that it may actually be better this way than getting lost with all the other ad's people dont read which are within the paper anyway.

I think I will try and do it this way.