Where are most chainsaws made

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnchopper, Dec 23, 2004.

1. lawnchopper

lawnchopper LawnSite Member

I was wondering if Stihl and Huskavarna, Jonsered are still made in Sweeden and Germany or are they now cheaply asembled in Mexico or China?? Are any assembled here in the u.s? What about Poulan and Echo??. I know Huskavarna was bought by Electrolux..........yes the vaccum cleaner company, go fig which has alot of its product assembled in Mexico so i wonder about the quality.
  2. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

The Sthil 019 T I had was made in the US if I remeber correctly and the Huskt I had was assembled in Mexico both were great saws.
  3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I know that a lot, and I mean a lot are usually made in Germany
  4. midtnstone

midtnstone LawnSite Member
    from mid tn

stihl headquarters are in Virginia Beach, VA i also think the powerhead and some other stuff are made there. And for any other chainsaw, sorry mmy bad what other chainsaw. if you want quality go with stihl, you shouldn't be sorry. imo

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Husqvarna made in the usa,Husqvarna xp made in swed,the xp is top ope.
  6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Out 4 now

Try the 020T and you will throw that 019 out the window. However you can buy two 019 for the cost of the 020T Stihl. It is lighter and more powerful with a wider chain and still a one hand limbing saw.
  7. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Both saws are gone. Sold them to a friend long ago.
  8. SunSwept

SunSwept LawnSite Member

I have been working at the Electrolux plant in Anderson, SC for a few weeks on a temporary project. In this plant they make only refrigerators but they have a 'test track' (so to speak) where I have seen them testing dozens of lawn mowers in various types of grasses. They test the ones that they make as well as that of the competition.

While I haven't been permitted near the testing, it looks to be heavey duty. They will mow for a while and then they are out measuring and comparing ... sometimes on their hands and knees. I guess that they want to make sure that they measure up ... to what I don't know.

I am told by some of the Electrolux folks that they are the biggest MFGR of mowers in the world since they make mowers that other companys put their own labels on.

It was interesting ... thought you might like to know.
  9. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Stihl MS440 thru MS880 are built in Germany. The rest are built in Virginia Beach.
  10. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

The Husqvarna and Jonsered saws are the same. Both are made is Sweeden. Maybe not all the models are but I think most of them are made there and the Poulan and Poulan Pro saws are also made in Sweeden. They may be assembeled somewhere elso but I don't know for sure.

Most models of the Stihl saws are made in the USA in Virginia Beach.

Echo saws are made in Japan and assembeled in the USA.

Other brands like Shindawia, Redmax, and Tanaka are also made in japan.