1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Where are th go getters??

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Christianstine, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Christianstine

Christianstine LawnSite Member

I owned and operated a lawn company for over 12 years.I have advertised on lawnsite the need for 2.5 acres slit seeded in Corunna,Michigan.I have e-mailed over 10 company's and had 3 reply.They came to my home and seen that I had the yard close to ready.They said they would get me a price and that's the last I would see of them.When I was in buisness the goal was to make $$$.Has something changed or am I missing something?

2. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Either your job might be too small for them or they think you would balk at paying what they ask. Slit seeding is a specialty operation. It does not cost the same as mowing. Those are the two things I can think of. There are jobs I look at that I forget I even saw because I do not put the energy into coming up with a price only to get the "are you crazy" treatment. Other reason I do not even price a job is if I smell trouble. It can have nothing to do with money. If I think I will be involved in some kind of drama on that job, no thanks. Crazy client, crazy household member, crazy dog are all cause to forget I even looked at the lawn.

3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I have a similar problem here, only with advertisers. There is no way to get an ad in the local paper under the correct heading. They have a monopoly now.

The radio station is not on the web under any normal searches.

My question, is not so much the go-getters as "Where are the brains?" :laugh:

Since you already know what you want, hire a school/universtity kid to follow your instructions. Good luck advertising though.