1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Where are the Beetles?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lawntennis, Jun 27, 2009.

1. lawntennis

lawntennis LawnSite Senior Member

I'm in Central PA and have seen very few beetles or chafers this year. Whats
  2. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

Perhaps a VERY COLD WINTER???

Beetles alive and well here :)

Right on GGD time for the Japs.....1000+ GDD.

3. Perfect Image TLM

Perfect Image TLM LawnSite Senior Member

They are running strong in my neck of the woods.
  4. Heidi J.

Heidi J. LawnSite Senior Member

We haven't seen any either.. somethings up.. Perhaps the calm before the storm:confused:
  5. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

I'm surprised they are flying in Jersey already. I have to admit, I never looked into GDD for beetles, I just look for them. Haven't seen a single one of Japanese, chafer,
    asian or Orientals yet. It's usually mid July here, as I recall.
  6. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

very few here too! last year was a very light year for them also.. maybe they drowned with all the rain? lol
  7. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

One thing that can suppress jap beetles is if the soil is dry & hard when they need to lay their eggs. So if there was drought last year at that time, less eggs survived.
  8. BigBUCKEYEfan

BigBUCKEYEfan LawnSite Member

Our GDD's hit last week here for Japanese beetles, and exactly that same day they were pinging off the windshield! couldn't have planned it any better!
  9. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Have not seen one yet. Last two years they were all over the place.
  10. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

None in Erie yet. We had a very snowy winter and a cold, dry spring. I'm sure they'll be here, just a little later this year.