1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Where are the plugs?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by handydan, Mar 13, 2007.

1. handydan

handydan LawnSite Member

I bought a used Bluebird aerator, #530a, off ebay 2 months ago, hoping I could generate some additional business. Well, the snow in Denver, CO has FINALLY melted off my lawn, so I tried a few passes with it. I am disappointed at the lack of plugs it produced. I cleaned out the tines before running it, and it did put holes in the lawn, but very few plugs were pulled.

What do I tell my customer???

2. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

The ground is most likely too wet still. When the ground is wet the aerator will push the cores down instead of extracting them. Try it again on some dryer ground and see if it makes a difference.

3. handydan

handydan LawnSite Member

I appreciate the information.

Thank you very much!

Dan

4. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

Is the ground still frozen is spots, if so I doubt if it will pull plugs up.

JP

5. handydan

handydan LawnSite Member

Fortunately we've received some nice, above average warm weather of late, and the ground has thawed nicely. Wells Lawncare has suggested that the ground is so wet that the tines are pushing the soil deeper instead of pulling plugs. I'm thinking this is the case.

Thanks,

Dan