1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Where are the Scags?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by citysexton, Dec 5, 2006.

1. citysexton

citysexton LawnSite Member

I run almost a full fleet of Hustlers. The are the best mower i have ever used, but I have always liked the look and history of Scags. I'm just wandering why you never see a thread about Scags. Are they horrible? Do they never break? Are they to expensive for us lawn boys to own? Some one please cure my curiosity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

there are plenty of scab threads around. it is a very regional thing. Around here 80% run SCAG's. Personally I would never touch one. They are a PITA to work on. Cut is OK, but servicing them is the biggest turn off for me.
  3. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

i run all scags alnd hardly have any problems, but it all depends on how you take care of the mowers. i have one walbehind that is a 95 model and it is still ticking and original except for the motor. the cut on it looks better than other brands even my tiger.lol
  4. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

around here, you see scag, exmark/toro not much deere. have two scag riders and two hydro walkbehinds. they are no harder to work on or service than the two lazers i owned. much easier to work than the walker I owned.....

I had one of their new split pulley's fail onthe deck drive but thats its. of course the mowers ares till young with the oldest having about 600 hours...
  5. tranum

tranum LawnSite Member

i've owned 3 turf tigers. still have 2. very few problems & all relatively minor. i think they are pretty simple to work on. much more so than the grasshopper i own....
  6. Honerlaw-LawnCare

Honerlaw-LawnCare LawnSite Member

What I hear and see is that the walk behinds are tanks and will last forever. I have an older tiger cub thats probably 5 or 6 years old and the deck is horrible. It cant cut long or wet grass at all because the outlet on the deck is too small and it leaves clumps of grass. But I have looked at the new machines a lot and they have definately improved a lot. The decks seem a lot better and a lot of people in my area run them.
  7. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

I think scags are kinda on the expensive side compared to other machines
  8. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

:) Around here it's about 75% Scag, then Exmark and Toro a few choppers and grasshoppers. Ive been running a scag 52 walkbehind hydro i purchased new in 2003 its got 972hrs with no major problems, cut's great as good as my exmark.........Mark's Mowing Service 19yrs of Business.....
  9. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

Scag needs to update their models. Work more on research and design and not just slapping bigger motors on. Their WB's are dinasaurs compared to say an Exmark Turf Tracer. ZTR's that are too long and only hold eight gal. of gas.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

I own five scags and the service it is no harder than any other mower,parts are easy to get we service all the mowers at the shop three years here and no down time that is saying a lot,cut is great, in my area scag and exmark are running head to head i would say you see more scags than any other,so i guess every one is wrong and that guy is right it's like any thing else opinions are are cheap,scag is a great mower they have came a long way in the few years.