Where are the used mowers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ptman, May 21, 2007.

1. ptman

ptman LawnSite Member
    from VA

My father recently retired and likes working on small engines and lawn mowers. To keep busy, I suggested that he consider refurbishing older (worn out) commercial mowers that LCO’s have traded in for new mowers. He could then resell or rent the mowers to LCO’s who needed a spare or whatever. But this brings up the question, where do all the used mowers go when they are traded in to the dealer? My exmark dealer never has any used mowers to sell. I will ask him, but I thought I’d ask here first.

2. Mark in MD

Mark in MD LawnSite Senior Member

This idea probably won't work.

You can find a lot of them on eBay. Thing is though, although used mowers are cheap, parts are expensive. Buying the used mower will cost money, refurbishing them will cost more money (not to mention time), and then when you put them back on eBay, you'll be shocked to find nobody wants to pay the value for them. You'll end up selling them for less than what the mower and parts cost you.

3. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

I have to agree with Mark in MD, the parts are just to expensive to try and fix up a used machine and sell it to make a profit. The Dealers can do it because they get there parts cheaper.