Where are they now?

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by NightScenes, Jan 14, 2006.

1. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

Paul, smart man! I used the same form of advertising (cheap right from the town hall) when I lived on Cape Cod, MA. Worked great. Here in GA they do not have the addys on disc. I think I will used a company for my direct mail this spring.

How do customers respond to you placing a sign in front of their home? How long do you generally leave it there?

2. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

The only time I have had a problem with my sign, is in areas that don't allow them. All of my clients have been great about it. I usually leave them there a couple of weeks.

3. NightScenes

Here is my sign at night.

night sign.jpg

4. SONSCAPES

SONSCAPES LawnSite Member

what do you do just run of the lead wire out to the sign and you say you use 1 (10 w) fixture. so you face the sign out to the street one sided. just trying to incorporate all these good ideas into my biz. thanks

5. NightScenes

10 watts isn't going to make a very big difference in the voltage of a run, so I just tap onto a run that I am using for other lights.
    My signs are 2 sided, but I usually face them toward the road and put the light in front.

6. klkanders

klkanders LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Has anyone ever bought any transformers over E-bay? If so how did it go? Do you stockpile transformers or just buy them per job? Next is wire.....Best to buy in 500' rolls?.....where are good places to buy the quality stuff? Ok enuf for now. Thanks!

7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Paul,
    Why is your website different on the sign, than what is in your signature?

8. NightScenes

When I started installing landscape lighting, I already had a company that was recognized as PRG Ventures. I recently have modified my name a little to enphasize the "landscape lighting professionals". I just have'nt been able to get the signs changed yet. I'm working on a new layout.

9. NightScenes

Ok, never buy transformers on ebay. I am an advocate in many ways for ebay, but not when it comes to this. If anything goes wrong with that transformer in a year, what are you going to do? You'll have to buy another and it will come out of your pocket. Remember, the transformer is the heart of the system. Would you buy your pacemaker on ebay??? Buy as you need them, price doesn't change often enough to waste space on stocking them. It would not hurt to have one of each on hand for emergancy though.
    As for wire, I always buy in 500' rolls. You have less waste that way. I go through about 20,000' per year so if you can buy that in bulk, you can save some money. Copper prices do change often and they are not going down.

10. klkanders

klkanders LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Paul, thanks for the reply. I had to ask to see if there were any good or bad stories related to it. Paul you have me worried...you arent shopping for pacemakers yet I hope? I have alot more questions to ask you in the coming months. Just kidding! I remember reading somewhere on here that you use Kichler? Do you and have you used them exclusively? If you did have transformer problems what kind of warranties do they have and have they treated u well on that? Can I ask where you purchase wire? Thanks