Where are you, and how many cuts??????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by INTEGRITY LAWN, Jan 25, 2002.

INTEGRITY LAWN LawnSite Member

I am in Atlanta Georgia, and I am wondering how many cuts everyone gets per year. Here the grass type is Bermuda, and Fescue for the most part. I get about 19-21. Could this be righ. When I read every one elses in here, seems they state 30 range. Can someone explain? Also can someone explain to me every how many days you guys cut, and how do you get those customers who only want there lawn cut every 13 or so days to go to less days. Or should Ijust scratch them even though i have small clientell? I know different things factor in this, but advice from you well experienced people would be very helpful. Once again, thank you for helping us all!
  2. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

Like you said, most of our customers average around 30 cuts a year. every week i the spring.

In the dog days of summer, if there is a drought, we cut only if needed. On our monthly accounts, we will mow only the areas that are actively growing,(usually areas that are shaded by trees or low spots). and then spray the beds, and walks, and run the blower.

We mow four days a week leaving us a window day in case of rain. If weather is nice, then that day is used for other projects.

We will take on customers who want a 14 day schedule. but, We just tend to charge them more than if it were every 7 days. We also tend not to blow off any clumps of grass on these yards unless they are willing to pay more than the original quote. We let the customer know all of these things so there are no surprises about our methods.
  3. I set my mow season at 26 weeks. We will start earlier or go later as needed. Some drop off earlier in the season if they shut down sprinklers. I just let the customer know what I feel the season should be and 95% go with that. Every two week customers make up about 10% of my mows, we to try discourage this by not bagging on every other week mows. If they need bagging they must be on a weekly schedule. Our rate is about 40-50% higher for 2 week service. I have to run slower and trimming takes longer. More hrs =more$.

Bagging overgrowth =:blob2: :blob2: :blob2:

Thank you both for your input. I noticed you both were in the north, and am wondering type of grass up there, and also would like input from people in the south.
  5. We have Kentucky Bluegrass and cut at 2 3/4" all season. Lawn will grow on its own about 6 weeks a year, after that you better have sprinklers or an extra 10hrs a week to drag a hose.
  6. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

I usually mow 30 time a season, if we have a wet spring that goes up a little. In most of my contracts I state 34 per year.

How high are you mowing that Bermuda and with what type mower?

I usually cut it about every ten days I guess let grow about 3 inches. I use a 36" walk behind. Advice? What should Bermuda, and fescue be at?

By the way, I use a Scag mower. Out of curiousity. When you do a contract, you estimate cuts per year. What happens if lawn cut less times, or more in terms on contract. Do you reimburse cust. How doe that work.

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

The grass I am cutting is usually a blend of Kentucky blue, Fescue & rye varieties. I try to set people up for 1 cut per week, or at least every 10 days. However, I do have several customers that refuse to have cuts any sooner than 14 days. As someone stated above, I too let them know that they will not get a pristine cut under those conditions without me having to go over the lawn 3-4 times - and they don't want to pay for the extra service. In the spring when it rains & people fertilize, they should be getting cut every 5 days - trouble is trying to get them to agree.
  10. scagman

scagman LawnSite Senior Member

Here in WAshinton we get about 30-35 cut maybe more I'd have to check, but that does seem like a low number. Go for the irragated yards and offer a good fertilizer program.