Where are you getting N-P-K analyized organics?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by lawncuttinfoo, Feb 16, 2008.

1. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

Where are you getting N-P-K analyized organics? Like Alfalfa meal and Soybean meal or anything listed in the FAQs.

I was under the impression that by federal law materials sold as a fertilizer and applied for hire must have the analysis of N-P-K printed on the front of the bag.

2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

In that case it is sold as livestock feed, not fertilizer. You might be able to find someone who does sell it as a fertilizer, and it then would require the analysis.

3. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Your impression is exactly correct
    I was speaking to a state regulator on Friday and asked the same question
    His reply was, if you claiming that you are performing fertilization in any way on a property and not using a state registered fertilizer you are in violation of the law and can be fined and/or your license removed. If it says alfalfa meal on it and has no guarenteed analysis it will not be considered a fertilizer by the state and you will be in violation of the law

If you make no claim that it will improve the soil or plant then you can spread it all over the place. But if you are billing the customer for fertilizing you can be fined

4. ICT Bill

Bradfield Organics has a line of ferts like that, they will deal direct and give discounts on larger orders. They are distributed nationwide and are backed by Land o Lakes Purina

Fertlizers and pesticides are regulated by each state not by the fed's

5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know about you Bill, but that seems a bit over the top to me.

Assuming compost is on the list, how could they even hope to cover every possible compost ingredient combination?

Does this also extend to homeowners or just LCO's?

If it doesn't extend to homeowners, why doesn't it? Most residential landscapes are maintained by the homeowner.

6. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

its all a game and now with the phos ban in many places how do u get that out of the organics?

7. ICT Bill

His point was "what you are claiming" as an applicator
    This was the state regulator for Florida, but I have to assume it is the same almost anywhere.
    If you are a licenced business in Florida and perform fertilization for hire you must use state approved fertilizers or risk losing your license to do business. period end of quote.

The state gets a fee ($0.75) for every ton of fertilizer shippied or produced in the state.

I you state that you are just putting down something and you don't know what it does and it is a bag of alfalfa meal you can do that. You can not say you are improving the soil or turf in any way or state on the billing to the customer that you fertilized. You could say you applied alfalfa meal, but can't say it that improves anything or promotes growth

8. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

So basically, it is all in the wording. ;)

9. ICT Bill

That is correct. It is how you state what you are doing. If you say you are improving the soil by appying alfalfa meal the department of Ag considers it a fertilizer and it has to be an state approved fertilizer

I think I was set up

You could use our 2-0-2 compost tea

10. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

the way the laws were written didnt take into account all the changes in lawn care and like it was said its all in the wording