WHERE ARE YOU GUYS GETTING $ 50.00 A MHR ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BRET, Jul 10, 2000.

1. BRET

BRET LawnSite Member

WE OPERATE A COMMERCIAL FULL SERVICE LANDSCAPE MANAGEMENT CONTRACTING FIRM IN CENTRAL FLORIDA. I'M WONDERING JUST FOR INFO WHERE IN THE WORLD YOU GUYS GET $ 50.00 A MANHOUR FOR LAWN SERVICE. IS THIS UP NORTH AND IF SO HOW IS THE COST OF LIVING. WE ARE LUCKY TO BID AT $ 30.00 A MHR. AS A EXAMPLE I SEND 3 MEN TO DO A MEDIUM SIZE APARTMENT COMPLEX AND IT TAKES ABOUT 24 MHRS. WE ARE LUCKY TO GET ABOUT $ 2400 A MONTH FOR IT. TRU GREEN LANDCARE AND THE BIG BOYS ARE BIDDING AT ABOUT $ 25.00 A HOUR AND I DONT THINK THOSE FIQURES WOULD WORK IN FLORIDA. WE DO ABOUT $ 30,000.00 A MONTH BUT I SWEAR I SPEND $ 28,000.00 A MONTH ON EXPENSES. ANY BODY HAVING THE SAME PROBLEMS OR AM I DROWNING IN THIS BOAT BY MYSELF BECAUSE I SWEAR I CANT WAIT TILL WINTER TO MAKE SOME MONEY. THANKS BRET

2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Don't feel bad, I mow at $15.00 an hour. Everyone I mow for are penny pinchers. Heck, they don't want me to trim every week otherwise it would be quite a bit more. I'm cheap mowing, but I nail the price to their door for trimming and extra jobs. Got some areation to do. HEHE

3. esland

esland LawnSite Member

Bret,<br>I have wondered the same thing myself, I have even heard of guys getting $70.00 to $90.00 per man hour for maintenance (maybe includes using very large mowers, I don't know). Here in Chicago I am struggling to get $25.00 to $30.00 per man hour (Although our labor is fairly cheap)All the contractors in this area look at me in disbelief when I mention other operators getting this kind of $$ per man hour. I have to wonder if this is on a consistent basis. Sounds too good to be true.

4. curlawngreen

curlawngreen Banned

You can either fish or cut bait. Why mow 10 yards per day for a net of $30.00 when you can mow 5 yards for a net of $100.00?

5. River Hill

River Hill LawnSite Member

Here in central Maryland it is very easy to get $70.00 per hour. Even at those rates I have to turn away work. My problem is finding good workers at $11.00 to $13.00 per hour.

6. osc

osc LawnSite Senior Member

I never discuss hourly rates or time with my customers. We mow or work by the job and speed is my problem and none of their business. I buy big equipment to go fast, not to putt-putt around so the customer can feel like he's getting his money's worth.<p>On a few occasions I've had people comment that we didn't take very long and that seemed to trouble them about the money we made per hour. That is when I point out the equipment on the trailor and how much it costs, and if it's going to be an issue then we cannot service you're account.<br>Afterall, the work is quality and the job is done just as we promised, it's none of their business how long it takes unless it takes too long.<br>In my area though, Trugreen is nothing and they give such poor service that they can't get a foothold here. It's too far from their home base. On the work I have seen them quote, it wasn't that cheap.<br>I think that you lose when you talk about cost per man hour with the customer. I'm truly sorry to hear about your expenses, Bret. That volume is too high with too much headache to not make a nice chunk in profit.<br>In June, we did just over 30k and profitted atleast 21K.

7. BRET

BRET LawnSite Member

I AGREE ABOUT NOT TELLING A CUSTOMER ABOUT TRUE COST. HERE IS A BREAK DOWN OF A MONTHLY BILLING<p> $ 30,000. INCOMING<br> 8 MEN AT @ 300.00 WK $ 3000 WK $ 12,000.<br>WORKERS COMP $ 300 WK $ 1200.<br>NEXTEL $ 700.00 <br>PHONES $ 500.00<br>TRUCK PAYMENTS $ 1250.00<br>INSURANCES $ 500.00<br>TRUCK INSURANCE $ 600.00<br>GAS $ 2000.00<br>REPAIRS/PARTS $ 1000.00<br>NEW PURCHASES $ 3000. TO $ 5000.00<p>AND OTHER THINGS @343448888888******!!!!!!!

8. GrassRoots Lawn Care

GrassRoots Lawn Care Guest

Bret, <p>I am also located in Central Florida. There are jobs where we get $50-70 per man hour, but that's not our average. We average about $30 per manhour for maintenence & $40-100 for light landscaping and palm trimming. I run a two man crew in a tight service area. Remember, Florida is a very low C.O.L. state with lots of elderly, $50 per manhour AVERAGE would be hard to attain. <p>----------<br>Mike Reynolds,<br>GrassRoots Lawn Care, Florida

9. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Thats the problem when in some areas of the country. You have a large company afraid to turn down business and lose customer because they have to keep all those employees busy. Willing to take whatever the customer will pay them. Not what they need to make a decent profit on every job. Customers know this is a very competitive business. And that lawn service companies are willing hurt each other just to get their business. Volume companies will be shocked when their lazers ,choppers go down within 5 years and they have to replace them at that days prices. If you don't replace a old machine it will nichol and dime you to death with repairs and down time. Mr Phagan talked about this in an earlier post. We have to look around at other types of business and demand similar pay. Now with this forum it is a definite eye opener to what other companies are making and we can all learn from it about what we should be making. I can tell you I dont see how anyone makes.it at 25$ per hour. Well wait a minute I can tell you how SOME do in MY area. They hire people from the gutters of life and do sloppy work. They short change the customer any way they can. Any time they can and they pay no taxes, no insurance etc. And I guess they make a nice profit this way.<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: Charles

10. SLC INC

SLC INC LawnSite Member

We bid all of our Mowing, fertilizing, and clean-up jobs by the job. Any extra work like tree work we do by the hour (39.95 an hour plus parts or dump fee) On avg. any maintenance jobs I need to make 30.00 a man hour to break even. I kept track on clip every mow jobs man hour, and we avg. anywhere from 40 to 60 dollars a man hour. Than I kept track everydays total income and divide it by the total man hours it took. That gets me the total man hours for that day. Doing it this way will include drive time, lunch, and etc. We avg. anywhere from 32.00 to 48.00 (if everything ran smoothly)for our total man hour. Our big money is aeration. We can make anywhere from 50.00 to 100.00 per man hour.( I'm not kidding)<br>BUT! <br>To get good help I need to pay 10.00 to 15.00 dollars an hour plus Some bennies.<br>HERE IS THE REAL KILLER!<br>Here in the great state of Minnesota I will pay about 40% of my profit to taxes!<br>SO<br>You guys might be better off then me<p>Scott's Lawn Care Inc.<br>Minnesota where a wrestler thinks he can be a governor!