1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Where are your jobs coming from?

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by David Gretzmier, Apr 12, 2010.

1. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I'd like everyone to make a special effort over the next month to ask thier new customers how they came to be customers in the first place. Was it a referral? was it web? a postcard, sign, or saw your graphics on truck?

lets everyone post here and see what advertising or word of mouth is truly bringing you the leads and the closed jobs in 2010.

I will offer up my last two jobs over the last 2 weeks closed, both $5000 plus jobs. Both are complete redo's. So these folks are predisposed to wanting landscape ligting, and wanting it done better. One, after her husband spent 3 years doing and redoing Lowe's type lighting decided she needed a pro type system. She found me in the yellow pages, saw my website in the ad, and then decided to call me after seeing the photo's and info on the website. the Second was a single mom, had pro trans and fixtures, landscaper installed and wired wrong, and never maintained for 3 years and it is now trash. she searched on google for landscape lighting and her town, got me on google maps, clicked on website, and then went to the yellow pages to see if I was "legit".

The first is complete and is adding 5 more lights, pushing that job above 6k. the 2nd begins going in today.

where are your spring jobs coming from and what are they briefly?
  2. Mayor_tx

Mayor_tx LawnSite Member
    from Austin

75% word of mouth
    20% mailers
    5% google,truck/trailer,ITEX
  3. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

#1 is "add-on" customers, in that lighting is something I do as well as irrigation, and if I'm there doing irrigation service or repairs and notice their lighting system is old or broken, I bring it up and sometimes they'll go for an immediate repair/ re-lamp/ fixture repair, and other times they'll go for complete redo, sometimes months later...

Some of those are referrals from past and repeat customers. Some are referrals from landscapers, gardeners, pool service and lawn care companies. No fees, but I refer work to them too.

Some are referrals from distributors, with whom I have a reputation for problem solving and quality work.

Some want both services at once. These usually find me via Google or Yahoo. (No, I don't use adwords, but I've had a small presence on the web for a long time.)

No yellow pages and no newspaper advertising, though both helped me to build up my customer base years ago when I was getting started.
  4. Tim R.

Tim R. LawnSite Member

90% from home show leads, 10% from referalls. We just dropped RSVP this week and have solo direct mailers going out in 2 weeks. We already have 4 leads from RSVP but have not met with them yet.
    This is one of the best springs that I can remember, we are rockin and rollin.
  5. kansashoosier

kansashoosier LawnSite Member

So you've gone from failing at your own business, to failing at someone else's business who had a monster advertising budget to working for a Nitelites wannabe franchise with crap product. You may want to think about another career.
  6. extlights

extlights LawnSite Senior Member

In one location is been mainly referrals, in our new 2nd location we used RSVP and have gotten a real good response so far. I have 7 appointments from that already...hopefully the phone will keep ringing.
  7. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

Guys- I appreciate the responses. ( well, except kansashoosiers guy- really showing your maturity there. ) what I would like you to do over the next 30 days is use this thread as a tracking device. Rather than posting percentages and maybe what you have tracked in the past, please post specific leads coming in and closed job numbers. I am really looking for where all these spring jobs come from. I understand many of you do not want to post what your sales numbers are, but that is also helpful as we find out where the smaller or bigger sales are coming from.

I have never tried RSVP, but it sounds like that makes the phone ring. I know it is the bundles of postcards, but any idea on cost of that stuff?
  8. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

In the last week sold 4 new installations:

1 - Builder Referral
    1 - Client Referral
    1 - Complimentary Trade Referral
    1 - Google Search

Smallest of those was $15K
  9. extlights

extlights LawnSite Senior Member

You would have to call your local rsvp guy, but for us it's something like $2500-$3000 so it's pretty reasonable. We've actually done the solo larger postcards (6x9 I think) and for some reason we didn't do as well with those. I will say though that we still get calls from people who got the rsvp card 2 years ago and just hung on to it until they were ready.

We never do mailers in the summer, but with the response we're getting with this Spring one we will most likely do the Fall mailer.
  10. Tim R.

Tim R. LawnSite Member

You truly are the village idiot here and clearly have no idea about the facts. You can have a monster advertising budget, but if the ownership won't listen to sound advice about how to effectively market and set up a lighting company, well what can you do. It's not my money and I dont' control what the money gets spent on. When the intent is to market and run like a plumbing service company, well, it just isn't going to work.

Why don't you come out of the shadows and tell us who you really are and what company you are with instead of cowardly hiding behind some weak screen name? It's pretty easy to speculate and throw out baseless accusations when you can hide in a corner.