Where can I buy grass seed for less?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by NCPremier, Jan 15, 2009.

1. NCPremier

NCPremier LawnSite Member

I live in Durham, NC and had a small seed supplier but when I cam back from vacation his shop is gone. I had to go buy grass seed from Lowes, seems over priced. Does anyone know where I could get seed for less in the triangle area. Thanks
  2. Stuttering Stan

Stuttering Stan LawnSite Bronze Member

Less than what price? Seed is expensive, no way of getting around it.
  3. NCPremier

At lowes it is about $35 for a 25lb bag of contractor seed. $95 for a 50lb bag of Rebel IV tall fescue. I was paying about half that. And had great results.
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Kinda makes me wonder if selling seed cheap had anything to do with that.
  5. NCPremier

Ha Ha! Very good point! =) Where do others get there seed. we have a few really really large landscaping companies in the area and the bags they use are simply white. So I know there not getting it from lowes. I just thought maybe there was something I didnt know about a better way of obtaining grass seed. I appreciate the responses!
  6. jaghr

jaghr LawnSite Member

Try Lesco,there's one located in Raleigh
  7. jaghr

jaghr LawnSite Member

I said Raleigh in earlier post but there is a Lesco SC in Durham.
  8. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

You can try UAP or Pennington as well. Seed is expensive, and you get what you pay for....

KACYDS LawnSite Senior Member

Try Lesco/JDL, Pennington Seed, BWI, Regal Chemical, and Pro Source.
  10. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Pop your head into a good golf course and look up the greenskeepr. Find out who supplies them. Locally it is Wilber Ellis they sell fert, seed, chems to golf courses and as long as I make it easy, to me too. I usually get last years over runs at a great cost and it is very good seed too. Also the big sprinkler houses like Ewing ,Horizon, John Deere.