1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

where can i buy stripe kit? wildcat 52" velocity deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Billpa, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Billpa

Billpa LawnSite Member
    from pa

Anyone know where I can buy a stripe kit online for a 52" wildcat with the velocity deck? I called the dealer this morning and the scag kit was 370!! Thats a bit much, other manufacturers seem to be asking bout 200 for theres. To bad the exmark kit wouldn’t fit, that is exactly the type I’d like to have, one that attaches to the deck so it can be raised up with the deck when I’m done cutting, while I always try to follow one of my stripe back to the trailer I still think it would be a good thing especially on scrub props with a lot of bumps dips and general pain in the butt things sticking out of the ground.

I did a search on here and tried a few reg search engines but haven’t come up with anything, my computer seems to be moving at a snails pace theses days so I’ve given up the search.

any suggestions on a homemade one or pic would be great to, I want to stay away from chains as I feel it would get caught on various things such as pvc pipes and so on sticking slightly out of the ground which I can now mow over as the deck is just high enough to clear. Not sure I want to make a roller, would be interested in buying one but not making.. At this point my easiest way out would probably be a rubber flap, I saw a pic of one the other day on here but can’t find it now, it was mounted under the engine which is what I’ll probably have to do but if anyone has any suggestions on how to mount a flap to the back of the deck that would be good, I was looking at it earlier and I hate the thought of drilling holes in it already, any suggestions?
  2. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

Try J-Thomas.com they have stripe kits for most mowers.
  3. Billpa

Billpa LawnSite Member
    from pa

Thanks Mike.

Only ones they have listed online are for the exmarks, says to call for other apps so I’ll do that in the morn, hopefully they’ll have something.
  4. smoothbore2004

smoothbore2004 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

J thomas has the same kit as the dealer and much cheaper. Be careful of curbs and ditches cause the stripe kit will get hung up in the ditch and bent up on curbs. So check them out and good luck. you wont be disappointed. As for smoothing out rough yards, well it is not that heavy and the spring doesnt have that much tension to act as a roller. Striping grass is all its really designed for. Hit me back if you have any other ?'s
  5. Billpa

Billpa LawnSite Member
    from pa

Good to hear, thanks.
    Yeah I was kinda worried about bending it on my rougher properties, I could just lift it up and not use it on them I guess but most of the time the majority of the prop it could be used on, looks like it would be fairly easy to lift and lower, wish you could do it from the seat with a lever of some sorts. O well guess ya can’t have everything, I’ll just have to be careful.

Hum it just crossed my mind, how would this kit affect driving up steep slopes? Since the scag mounts towards the back of the mower and not on the back of the deck wouldn’t it limit ability to make the transition from flat to steep bank, I just got this mower so I’m not sure but I know some banks I drove up on the ferris the back bumper would touch the ground during transition and even if it were spring loaded I don’t think it could flex that far up. Will this be a problem and something that I should take into consideration?
  6. Billpa

Billpa LawnSite Member
    from pa

I just called J thomas and the guy I talked to said when asked if they have kits for scag “we don’t have those yet” when I asked if he knew when they would he said “ I’m not an engineer so I could’t say” in a friendly tone. So it sounded to me as if they were coming out with their own kit instead of the factory kit. Did you buy a scag kit from them?
  7. TAZ

TAZ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

They are pictured in there latest flyer that they sent out. Says right in the flyer that they are for the wildcat scags...... hmmmm

For your other question about the ground clearance. That might be an issue if the transition is too steep. I have the scag unit on mine and it doesn't have that much leadway to swing up.

8. timmac

timmac LawnSite Senior Member

i would just make it out of chains or a rubber flap.
  9. madness0827

madness0827 LawnSite Member

i have a scag strip kit for sale? pm me for more information.