1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Where can I find Class 5 truck stats...

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by thepawnshop, Nov 19, 2006.

1. thepawnshop

thepawnshop LawnSite Senior Member

Is there a website where I can got to check the stats of class 5 trucks in a comparison type scenario? I have been to the GM and Ford sites and can not find the information I want, which is GVWR and GCWR. I can usually find one or the other, but not both. I was hoping to find a comprehensive webiste that analyzed all or most of the trucks in this class.

I am considering either a Ford F550 or a Kodiak 5500 for towing as right now I have a Chevy 3500 dually, but I am towing a 10 ton gooseneck that weighs 5k and a mini excavator that weighs 12k so I know I am overloaded. I would like to buy a medium duty truck with a dump bed (that also has drop down sides) mainly for towing equipment and pushing snow.

Thanks for the help!
  2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I would be looking at buying a 3 or 5 ton truck a F-550 or 5500 Chevy are still in my books as a light trucks. May want to consider a single axle dump and buy a tag trailer to pull behind it. You may need a CDL but its worth it.
  3. thepawnshop

Thanks, GR but I really don't want to go that route. I am interested in the F550 or the 5500. Don't want to buy a third trailer, quite honestly as they are not cheap, and I am.
  4. Gravel Rat

If you were going to go with a F-550 or 5500 with a dump body you can pretty much plan on the truck itself weighing 9000-10000lbs that leaves you with 8000-9000 payload approx. You have a pin weight of 3000lbs which isn't much for a 2 ton truck so say your gross combined weight will be around 30,000lbs thats pushing the limits of a F-550.

The only way you will get away with a F-550 would be having a stripped down truck no heavy dump body so you can just have the chassis weight of 8000lbs.

I still feel moving a 161 should be left to a true medium duty its the safest option.
  5. Canon Landscaping

Canon Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

We just bought a c4500 with a 12 foot dump and it is just as easy to drive as our 3500 but it will haul 6 tons of gravel and pull our equipment a lot better. The big difference is the way the 4500 handles the load it doesnt have anymore pulling power than the 3500 but it carries the load better and it stops the load better but the thing i really like is the way it looks going down the road you really stand out.

6. Gravel Rat

A F-550 and 5500 are good for carrying a load but towing a load its still no better than a P/U truck. A 10 ton capacity trailer is quite abit of weight I wouldn't want to be pulling a 161 behind a regular 1 ton dually. What you guys can get away with down the US wouldn't fly here especially with the steep grades we have. A regular 1 ton truck barely has enough brakes to stop itself let alone a load on it.
  7. thepawnshop

What does she weigh empty? Looks EXACTLY like what I am looking for. I'll keep my 3500 as my daily drive around truck, but I want a dedicated towing truck that can double for picking up some gravel, mulch, etc. when needed...as well as plow snow.

I love my 3500....she just isn't made to be towing larger loads...at least in the eyes of the state....
  8. thepawnshop

Its a gooseneck so it actually tows pretty good behind a 1 ton...just if I was to be in an accident, then Im in deep do-do.
  9. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

Pawnshop.....Be the first on your block! Go check out International's idea of a pick-up truck. They have got a medium duty truck set up like a pick up, but I believe it will haul a wee bit more than the 4500 or 5500.
    We were at the dealership here in Salt Lake the other day and they had a couple on the lot......really didn't look work worthy, and you had to be a giant or carry a ladder to get into the "pick-up" truck bed.
  10. thepawnshop

Correct me if I'm wrong, Rock...but doesn't that thing sell for over 100k?!?!?!?

Hey, I like toys as much as anyone, but I dont quite feel like dropping 100 plus large on one of those...well....maybe if I won the lottery....