Where can I get methylated seed oil?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by MrC, Jul 27, 2007.

1. MrC

MrC LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

I just got my hand on a 1.5 oz of Drive and need a surfactant like methylated seed oil. Any place online? Are there cheap alternatives?

2. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Helena sells it. A cheap alternative is good old Ivory soap. A small bottle will run you $1. Joy dish soap works too, or just a bar of Ivory, shave off a little with a knife. If all you are using is a 1.5 oz of Drive, a quart of MSO will last you forever and a day.

3. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

We stock it in White Plains if you're heading into Westchester any time soon.
    Soap is not the same as MSO once the crabs start making seeds. Call Greg & he can probably ship a quart to you. 914-390-8700, tell him Steve said to call.

4. MrC

MrC LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

Thanks for the help guys!!! What does a quart go for? With a quart lasting me a lifetime can MSO be used with other products? I currently only have drive, crosscheck, and momentum fx.
    Thanks

5. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

About $10.00 per quart. MSO breaks the waxy cuticle that some plants have which protect them from drought, insects & disease. This waxy layer also prevents herbicides from penetrating. MSO can be used to enhance most herbicides when dealing with hard to control weeds. If a herbicide were not compatible with MSO it should say so on the label. None come to mind.

6. aircorelocke

aircorelocke LawnSite Member

Will any spreader stickers work, i have Bandt Spread-it will that work.

7. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Tremor passed away a year or so ago. I believe he had MS...sad deal. He won't be answering and I wish I had half the knowledge that he did to help you...but I don't.
    I myself use MSO for all of my surfactant needs. Its good for those products that specifically call for it and those that don't alike.

I'm not familiar with the product you named but if it's a non-ionic surfactant, it should work. I've had to use some Drexel 80/20 when I've been out of MSO and it did fine.

8. wildstarblazer

wildstarblazer LawnSite Senior Member

9. inzane

inzane LawnSite Silver Member