Where can I get some brutish logging tools?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Mr. Magpie, Feb 25, 2006.

1. Mr. Magpie

Mr. Magpie LawnSite Senior Member

Sometimes I like to work hard. I am in the market for an old-school style two man, lumberjack style band saw (like 4+ ft. long) and also a *BIG ASS* flat-head axe with a very wide, sharp-as-hell cutting surface (12", something I and my brother can drop my 250lb. anvil on from 6 feet above to split massive tree trunks and such). By the way, I don't want a wedge because I don't want it to get stuck in the middle of some tree, a handle on the end will prevent this I believe.

Seriously, what natural wood can stand up to these brutish tools and little sweat?

These tools are hardcore and I want them to be a part of my repratoire, but they seem to be hard to come by. I am ready to spend some decent cash in order to have the priviledge of using these tools that our forefathers depended on.
  2. NEPSJay

NEPSJay LawnSite Senior Member

3. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

i have a tool that i could not live without. some call it a pulaski axe, some call it a forestry axe. the smoke jumpers use them. it is an axe with a matoc on the other end. a normal matoc just has a flat peice on the front that doesn't do much to roots. the pulaski can dig a ditch,edge a bed, and bust clods like no other. i bought mine at a flee market. the guy that sold it to me about had a heart attack when i picked it up and started diging in the gravel parking lot, he started to tell me about how it was this brand and it was so and so years old. i just told him that work with tools not put them on a shelve. it cost me 30 bucks but work every penny
  4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I have your 2 man lumberjack saw what do you want to give me for it?IT'S NOT A BAND SAW IT IS POWERED BY TWO MEN SAWING one on each end with a handle for each
    And how in the heck would a person package such a saw.I collect hand saws from the 1800's and have quite a few.with huge teeth both single man and two man saws and a few blades.
  5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Well Mr.Magpie must not want to work THAT hard I guess..cuz I got the tools he wants