where can we find a good deal?

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by rbig, Nov 18, 2004.

1. rbig

rbig LawnSite Member

need suggestions of who to go to in order to get a solid low quote for a compact tractor our church will be buying. I'm point man for this, and hope to substantially beat the Walmart/Home Depot/Lowes prices. We can fetch, so shipping/trans cost won't be a factor.

What we're looking for is a wide cut wideth (approx 54") garden or lawn tractor.

2. Moe Fish

Moe Fish LawnSite Member
    from Fla

are you wanting a "compact tractor " like a kubota BX or a "riding mower" like at lowes or home cheepo?

3. rbig

rbig LawnSite Member

I mis-stated. Riding mower or garden tractors is our focus of interest

4. Moe Fish

Moe Fish LawnSite Member
    from Fla

it would seem to me those things are sold by the truck load and almost any chain store or local dealer could get at a competave price

5. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

If you want a cheap lawn tractor then go to lowes or home depot. If you want one a little better then go to your local dealer and look at Cub Cadet, Toro, Simplicity, and John Deere. One of those would be your best bet because the cheap MTD's at lowes tend to go through transmissions. They are all hydro built for homeowner use and that equals TROUBLE. So thats why I said to look at the good brands. They will cost you a little more but its worth it.

6. aklandscape

aklandscape LawnSite Member

I'm from around the rochester n.y. area and the lowes chain sells cub cadets for around $1500 to $2000. Check into that chain.

7. moneyman

moneyman LawnSite Member

a 54" deck is going to run around $2300-$2500. Try sears they have good equipmnet for homeowners.

8. mission007

mission007 LawnSite Member

If your looking for a mower that nice priced & cut & run good check a cub cadet at a dealer or lowes you can get a 50 cut with a 24hp els briggs extend life series for $ 2000 & they offer a extended warranty program for a res. mower its a gas slinger

9. earthwerks unlimited

earthwerks unlimited LawnSite Member

Don't know how large your property is, but if you want something that will last a long time, check out New Holland's line of mowers---ride-on, zero-turn, garden tractor-type, or compact tractor. And if one of your parrisioners is or was a Ford Motor Co. employee they can get a the tractor at dealer-cost ("A-plan"). I saved about $3500 on mine. Sometimes if a dealer wants to move an item he will sell you at "A-plan" without the Ford paper work (like mine did when I bought a skide steer loader and saved about $6,000)

10. firedude26

firedude26 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mich

Hopefully your dealer dont get caught selling a-plan without employee puchasing or relative, he will lose his privlidges. It is cool you got the deal though.