1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Where did all these Onions come from!!!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by 1bigdaddy62, Apr 25, 2011.

1. 1bigdaddy62

1bigdaddy62 LawnSite Member

Went to do a cleanup this spring on returning customer, the yard, mulch beds and any other porous area is covered in onions/scallions. Tried roundup Pro they got bigger!! Any suggestions?
  2. dgw

dgw LawnSite Bronze Member
    from OH

pull em

make sure to get the bulb
  3. dgw

dgw LawnSite Bronze Member
    from OH

or wait until the temps are up to spray em
  4. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

That or take some round-up concentrate and wick the onions. That will knock them dead.
  5. kbrashears

kbrashears LawnSite Senior Member

Onions are better controlled with three way than glyphosate here.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. Frank Fescue

Frank Fescue LawnSite Senior Member

when one onion loves another onion
  7. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Bronze Member

A large area of my lawn was almost entirely taken over by wild garlic (at least I think that's what it is; it looks and smells a lot like onion . . .). I did some research, and have been working on them slowly (it takes more than a year to get complete eradication).

Best treatment regimen for me, is 2,4D (I used an amine formula), twice a year. First time right as the early ones pop up, after the snow is gone. Second time at least a month later, but before leaves are on the trees (so now is good).
    I would beat the clumps up with a square stick, to bruise the surface, and I added a wetting agent to the chemical (i.e. sticker spreader) before spot spraying the bunches.
    Skip those two steps, and whatever you apply just rolls off their waxy surface.
    Then wait at least a week for the chemicals to work their way down to the bulb, before mowing them down.
    Since last year, it's about 75% gone.
  8. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

We use 3-way ester on R-1. They bleach-out in days.
    Will take several seasons for coplete cleanup.
    After first mowing, they are not usually a problem.
  9. LawnoftheMonth

LawnoftheMonth LawnSite Senior Member

celsius + a mowing or two ='s win.
  10. alanauer

alanauer LawnSite Member

This year I had scads of wild garlic at my place. Anybody eat this or use it in cooking?