Where Do I start

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Shawnhines, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Shawnhines

Shawnhines LawnSite Member

Well, I am new here and I don't have a company yet. I have been wanting to start something for a while now, but I don't knwo where to begin. Can someone tell what to start with and how to go about it? I plan on buying a trailer and a zero turn mower, weedeater, blower.... What else do I need to look at? How do I approach someone about mowing their yard?

Anything will be helpful....

Thanks

Shawn Hines

2. huh

huh LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lubbock

1. where do you live in Texas

2. how old are you

3. you need a company name

4. http://www.governor.state.tx.us/divisions/ecodev/sba/step1

5. if you say where in Tx I can probably link you to somewhere to go in person to get started

6. call about insurance for your business to cover any Fups you may have (reat the thread from yesterday about a child riding a bike into a truck or the thread about the lady that smashed into a PARKED truck and it is the TRUCK owners fault at this point or the thread about the guy that mowed his clients dogs leg off) and then decide if you really need insurance for your business and also for your truck and equipment

7. if you have a nice smile and some teeth and clean cloths you COULD knock on doors with unkept lawns and offer services.....or you can pass out fliers on doors

if you are 16 or under I would just say go start knocking on doors and who cares if they say no and eventually someone will say yes...then cut it....and even though a lot of people will cry at me for saying this if i was 16 or under I would probably blow off the insurance and business license and the taxes because hey your just a kid and kids can do dumb stuff and people that hire a kid to cut a lawn should be prepared for the unexpected and kids should not have to put up with stupid tax laws and other BS because that gets in the way of being a kid

now if you are 17+ go legal :)

get the best COMMERCIAL grade equipment you need and DO NOT over spend...I would wait on a ZTR until I had some clients....spending 5K to cut one persons yard in 30 minutes VS spending 800 on a 21" to cut the same yard in an hour is a no brainer...spend the 800

get a weedeater a blower a mower and a broom and you are ready to roll....put it in the back of an S10 or a Ranger with the fold down gate like this guy who is in central Texas and sells these gates (ask in a new thread someone will know who he si)[​IMG]

maybe a half ton truck....anything bigger starting out is probably burning gas and cash (including the F350 from Colorado you enquired about)....avoid other peoples old used up junk (not saying that about the guy in Colorado just in general) and save your cash until your client base requires/allows you to go for bigger equipment

It is NOT about having the biggest fanciest rig and mowers ect. (except to a few) what it is really about is waking up each day with the max amount of cash possible for the equipment you need and the time you have

3. turf dog

turf dog LawnSite Member

Nice pic of your Q36, how do you like it so far?

4. huh

from Lubbock

sorry not my quick 36 :(

i was posting the pic to show the ramp...the guy with the ramp sells them somewhere in central Texas....I an im west Texas, but the rig he has is what I am going to go with....including the quick 36 when I get the clients to need it

5. Shawnhines

Well Thanks for the input. I think that my wife enjoied you saying not to buy a 3000.00 mower. I have been looking at the CubCadet ZT... I am 26 I used to make a little money back when I was a kid and have always wanted to start one of these companys when I got the money. Well I am in the US CoastGuard and I have saved alittle money to start something soon... I have got a F250 now and I am just looking at getting a trailer and a mower to start with. Thanks again anymore help would be great...

6. huh

from Lubbock

well since you already have the truck then sure get a trailer and go like that

most would say spend a bit more and get a bigger trailer...one with brakes would be nice to save wear on your truck....depending where in Tx you are at you could probably cut a ton of lawns with a 21" to a 36" before you really need a bigger mower

look at the link I gave you and then go to one of the local places listed for the SBC and they will help you get a business license

then call about 10 different agents for insurance and get estimates for liability for any accidents you may have...then compare coverages and what you can do and can not do (like climb in trees) and choose the one that best suits your company for the best price

then get fliers made and be ready to pass them out in an area EARLY almost before the season starts then again in same area right after the season starts

make sure there is ALWAYS someone there to answer the phone during business hours....even if it is just someone to say "our estimater is in the field now and will call you back in 5 minutes" so that people calling from your flyer always get a live person that can firm them up for a chance for you to give an estimate and earn their business...no sense passing out fliers to a voice mail where people will not leave an answer

try to target one area to service a tight route....look for a newer area possibly or an area with some lawns that need to be cut next to really nice lawns

when you start out you might need to take jobs that many on this site complain about....just bid $5 or $10 more than you think you might normally if it seams someone will be a real pain.....or bid normal and work to find more clients with less attitude and eventually dump the pains....just make sure that demanding cheap skates don't work you into a loss situation....after all working for break even is worthless....just be prepared to explain why "lil extras" cost them and sell your services not your "cheap prices"

hope all goes well

7. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

From where?

8. Shawnhines

Tractor Supply Company, Is this a good rig???

9. Shawnhines

Huh you have been helping me out alot thanks again... I live in Alaska right now no yards here to mow so I have been saving up money for when I move next summer.... I will try and start everything up 08 season (which when does everybody start up there seasons???)

10. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Not for a serious commercial cutter. Although, I believe the ZForce at TSC has a 1 year commercial warranty, so at least when it starts falling apart from 4 or 5 hours of use a day for 5 days a week, maybe some of it will still be covered. If you are set on CubCadet/MTD, find an actual CubCadet dealer and get a Tank unit. If you're not partial to only CubCadet, the explore the other true commercial brands mentioned here. eXmark,Hustler,Scag,Gravely, etc.