Where do people find the time??!!

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by DVS Hardscaper, Nov 9, 2011.

1. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

I run into that with $150 driveway sealing jobs.

Really ticks me off when it wastes my time for something that small

2. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

I think of it as an opportunity to sell myself when there are 3 or 4 other quotes, I typically like to come in last and spend at least half an hour with the prospective client to show them and to explain to them what I can do. I always find it intriquing when the client says "well no one told me that" or wow, your the first one to include that....

But, for a 2700 dollar repair job thats just insane. I wouldn't of showed up at that one.

3. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

I love jobs that do not involve any designing or acquiring of materials. All labor for me means nice profit. "ol Andrew Hardscape's point of views have changed quite a bit over the last year.

4. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

To be honest with ya Andrew, this year we did more repair work than ever in the past, some on our older stuff, alot on others, some just cleaning and recompacting, sanding etc. It does make us money for sure, but I don't believe that people can get so many quotes for that kind of work. Again you're right, its a simple in and out to give them the price, no real time off my back so if they want it good, if not then we didn't waste any time on the quote.

5. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know, Andrew.... Where do people find the time to post all day every day on Lawnsite.com? :laugh:

6. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

I'm with you buddy!

Your profile statistics are kicking tail!

Posted via Mobile Device

7. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah well the other 11 guys they called never showed up for the estimate, lol.

8. alexschultz1

alexschultz1 LawnSite Bronze Member

wait till you start doing government bids. the last job i bid on had 22 proposals submitted... of course they went for the cheapest, and of course it looks like garbage.

9. TurnGreen1

TurnGreen1 LawnSite Member

Let's face it there is more underqualified competition out there offering lower prices with subpar results. I beleive our industry has changed and customers have been burned too many times to not search for more established and qualified companies.

10. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Which is one of many reasons we don't ever do commercial work...

I just signed two contracts for large hardscape jobs in the last week. I was the only bidder on both projects. Both previous customers. Actually, one of them we had only serviced his irrigation system in the past. Nothing more. But they had been impressed with our work and our photos. That's all it took. Just having the relationship was all they cared about. Didn't matter the price. The other job was a customer we have done quite a lot of work for over the past year. And she was originally a referral from her daughter.

I just love residential customers. Many of them are NOT looking for just the low price. And you can dictate the payment terms to them, not the other way around.