1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Where do you apply round up?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by kebrowns, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

kills crabgrass and buckhorn well

use a edger for curbs and walkways driveways

Some threads on here makes me :laugh::laugh:
  2. kebrowns

kebrowns LawnSite Member

I know what an edger and trimmers are for. however I see people applying it to grass growing thru concrete whether it be the walkway, or driveway. They also spray it around AC units. Just wondering if that's a separate service or not and or were else they apply it besides weeds.
  3. McG_Landscaping

McG_Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

i put it on things i want to kill?

O.k. i think i understand the question.
    Yes for our companycwe would consider this an extra service which is not part of our regular service. We would charge accordingly.
    If it is a big spender account we may throw a spraying in for free just to neaten it up,
    Hope this answer helps.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Mix round-up to desired rate, pour mixture in special color coded ice-cube trays, place in freezer to harden. wait for customer not to pay.

Bingo! night time visit from the LAWN NINJA!!:cool2:
  6. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

use a pumper sprayer it free part service when talking serval gals then its a extra fee
    You didnt say cracks
    Sorry making fun of you
  7. Busa Dave

Busa Dave LawnSite Member
    from DFW

Round Up is a non selective herbicide. Anything you spray it on that is foliar is likely to be killed or damaged. The active ingredient salt of glyphosate is likely to be damaging or lethal to the plant it is applied to. This also depends on the strength of application. If you mix the product according to the directions and apply it to grassy type weeds it will burn them down in about 7 to 14 days depending on your growing conditions. The glyphosate type grass killers are formulated primarily for grass and “grassy” type weeds when used at the strengths listed on the label. BE CAREFUL when spraying a clump of crab grass for example because if there is any desirable turf grass in with it will be killed as well.

When using glyphosate in established turf areas it is a pain to do but a “wick” type applicator which is nothing more than a drip of the chemical into a tube that is attached to a sponge type applicator that allows the chemical to be applied to the undesirable vegetation especially when the grassy or rogue grass/weeds are Taller than the surrounding turf. This is a lot more work but will allow you to spot treat more effectively with very little if any collateral damage to the turf area. You may have to do this more than once to get a complete kill but it is an option especially in flower beds where any overspray could cause damage.

There are better types of “weed killers” to be used on broad leafed type weeds (general rule those that flower) that will not harm most turf grasses. The active ingredient in those is 2,4-D ( 2,4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid) and is sold by many companies. When buying either of these types of herbicide look at the label and buy the one that has the highest content of the respective active ingredient and most of all read the directions.

Lastly make sure that the areas that you are applying the herbicide to are actively growing because that is the way it is taken into the plant. Dow not mow for a few days(allow 24 hours before watering even if it says that you can water sooner it will work better) to allow the herbicide to be more fully absorbed into the sprayed areas.

Hope this helps. Glyphosate is wicked stuff and will kill grass deader than a door nail if applied correctly. At the ranch sprayed about 80 gallons on a field of coastal Bermuda at the ranch that was so thick you could not walk through it and 14 days later it looked like moonscape with complete burn down. One last tip put a few drops of dishwashing soap or surfactant into your applicator after you mix everything it will break the surface tension of the water allowing for a better dispersion of the chemical on the applied areas and yes I am aware that products say it is already included but my experience indicates that it is not always adequate.

Hope this helps.
  8. eroeder

eroeder LawnSite Member

I would be careful around flower beds. Some weeds such as Thistle have long roots that might inter-weave with plant roots. When the round up spreads down to the root and kills the weed it could also go to nearby plants (i.e knock out rose bushes or ornamental trees like japanese maples). Just be mindful as to what is around so not to kill the good plants.

Precision Lawn Services
  9. eroeder

eroeder LawnSite Member

10. Busa Dave

Busa Dave LawnSite Member
    from DFW

What are you basing that on? Have never seen it. The small amount that is taken in through foliar absorption would not be capable of causing that kind of damage even it the roots were somehow parasitic to each other. Have sprayed well over a thousand gallons of Round Up (my father in law had the license) and have never seen an instance where that happened. Funny you mention thistle because we would always mix 2,4,d with it to get the other stuff because the Round Up would not give good control on a lot of things in a pasture.