1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Where do you buy a good tarp?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mcambrose, Nov 27, 2002.

1. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

Someone mentioned a cordura tarp. I have been using the cheap poly tarps and they don't last very long. Does anyone have a recommendation on a good tarp. What is the most cost effective?

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

Just get some good heavy duty poly tarps... I've had the same 20' x 15' tarp for 4 or 5 years now... its got some small tears here and there but no way near ready to be tossed... The canvass tarps will be alot harder to drag on the ground when fully loaded, the poly tarps slide nicely across the ground... either way they do wear over time, nothing last s forever...
  3. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Northern Tool has the cordora nylon ones pretty cheap. They're "misdied". Actually, they're two different colored panels sewn together. I have one that's grey and pink! I haul a lot of brush in my tarps too and have never had luck with poly tarps. The nylon ones slide well, are light, fold easy and tough.
  4. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I get the poly type from Home Depot or Lowes. Cheap and they last a good time. Just dont drag them across asphalt all day.
  5. Lawn Sharks

Lawn Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

My favorite tarp is a big cotton one that I have had for ages, so much easier to deal with than a poly tarp. Easier to grab, lays on the ground easily etc.

Can get a little awkward on wet days but on the dry ones it cant be beat.
  6. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Depending on what you are using it for. If it is for dragging leaves, etc. just buy the cheap ones from HD and replace as needed. If you are looking for a good one to cover loads, etc, buy the mesh ones from a nursery supply type place.
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I stay away from the cheap blue tarps. (some are a little better than others). I get the heavier tarps that are silver on one side, and black on the other. These have the big rubber corner grommits. It's well worth the extra money spent. I get these at Tractor Supply when they have them. We also have a surplus store that has pheNOMinal deals on stuff like this, but it's about 15-20 minutes further.
  8. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I'm with Darryl; I get my tarps from Northern Tool. The Cordura are really nice, and I don't really care if it misdied or not. These tarps are pretty tuff, way stronger then the nylon junk I used in the past.

9. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

I just go to Home Depot and buy the orange tarps, they are cheap and last a fall season or two.
  10. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Check eBay. I bought a huge 18' x 24' brown tarp for firewood for $28.