1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Where do you buy your plastic bags (for clippings)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KindGardener, May 19, 2001.

1. KindGardener

KindGardener LawnSite Member

I work in an area where I need to bag all our clippings. I've been buying 1.5 mil, 44-46 gal trash liners, from a janitorial supply, but need something a bit beefier. Been paying around $23.00/100.

Has anyone found a bag mfr that sells 1.8 mil (or equivalent) bags, 40" X 46" (44/46 gallon size), I use a few hundred each month.

2. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

try ur local home depot/lowes etc for a contractor duty bag, a contractor bag is strong enough to hold little pieces of wood screws etc etc.
  3. KindGardener

Thanks for the idea, they are much heavier but they cost twice as much as I want to pay ($.40 - $.50 each bag). Next couple months when it warms up here I'll go thru up to 100 each week.

Looking for something around the same price I'm paying now, but heavier.
  4. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

u get what u pay for
  5. KindGardener

STSLAWN... Why are you grinding me for trying to control my costs?
    You said "u get what u pay for". Sometimes NOT.

How 'bout when you stop for coffee and pay $1.09 for 12 oz of coffee at ARCO when only 1/2 block away it's $.59 for 16 oz. at TacoBell.

I figure trash liners are the same way - shop carefully to get the best value. I want a good, reliable supplier for the things I use regularly. The Janitorial supply I use has changed vendors and their current bags split way too easy. Plus, in Summer, I have much more clippings.
  6. KindGardener

re: "getting what you pay for" - sometimes you find a place that has GREAT value. such as your web site.

For example, if I wanted to buy compost at Home Depot, I'd pay over $4.00. My only other choice is to buy bulk. Unfortunately, there aren't any mushroom growers down my way.

$.80 a bag?!? Too bad shipping isn't practical!
  7. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

8. ronslawncare

ronslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

i used the janitoral bags and drum liner bags i dont use them any more because when there filled there too heavy to dump at someone house .but your probally doing something different
  9. Island Lawn

Island Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Why bags?
    I find tarps work fine for me.
    I dont like buying those bags, filling 'em up and then throwing them away!
    As much as I've used the tarps, they've saved me $ when you consider the time, effort, cost, ect of constntly running down bags!
    I may have to break down and buy another tarp...NEXT YEAR!

I know some guys use bagless barrels

BTW, bags (plastic) are measured in mils.
    4 mil is twice as thick as 2 mil and costs more.

Hope this helps.
  10. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

I like the 55 gallon drum liners at Sam's Club. 70 in a box for I believe 13.00. When and where practical, empty and reuse them. They are pretty tough.