Where do you buy your seed from?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by GrassMasterNC, May 2, 2005.

1. GrassMasterNC

GrassMasterNC LawnSite Member

Anyone buy their seed from seedland.com? If so, how were they? Any other good places to buy seed other than from the local marked up nurseries, etc?

Thanks,

Matt

2. surfisher211

surfisher211 LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

i get all my seed from lesco i use mostly there tripple eagle i pay around $50 for a 65 lb bag

3. Gators_Aerator

Gators_Aerator LawnSite Member

Lesco is where I get my seed too.

4. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

Summit Seed Company always have had good luck and they can mix any blend to match any sod farm in the midwest.

5. matthew horner

matthew horner LawnSite Senior Member

Could you describe the tripple eagle. Is it thin blade fescue, like hair thin? Thats what I'm looking for, the fine, thin blade fescue.

Thanks a bunch. PS-i'm in piedmont nc.

6. desert rose gardening

desert rose gardening LawnSite Senior Member

I would try my local professional landscape supplier outfit. We have Hydorscape and Ewing out here. You can get good seed for a good price.

7. NC Scaper

NC Scaper LawnSite Member

I get mine at the local feed and seed and use the triad blend.

8. Mscotrid

Mscotrid LawnSite Bronze Member
    from USA

I get all my seed from Lesco. Very high quality and priced competitive. Lesco is one of only three companies that have complete autonomy and control of their seed.

9. SONSCAPES

SONSCAPES LawnSite Member

I get my seed from ikex or southernseeds both located in middlesex,n.c. big plus is they deliver to me and give very professional advice with turf chemicals,ferts etc...

10. mower_babe

mower_babe LawnSite Senior Member

Do you have a web or number for Summit Seed?

I am so happy that someone had the same question. We seem to have crap for luck w seed. I have tried farmer's elevator - can't remember the brand. I can look it up.

Funny story...I seeded an area behind my house and took really great care of it, watering it and flagging it off, etc. Used Farmer's Elev seed - alot of it. I fertilized w starter fert, etc. NOT A DAmm thing came up. Two weeks ago, Hubby threw some really really really old Burpee seed that we found in our rental's garage - I mean that crap looked incredibly old and I was going to save it just bc of the burlap bag. IT CAME UP w no care at all. No watering - took out the flags. Weird, huh? ;)

So, is burpee even around anymore? I would pay premium if I knew it was of the same quality as that old stuff.

Also, do you guys cover it w anything - like straw or excelsior netting or do you special mix in some rye to get it to hold or what?