1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Where do you draw the line?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by eruuska, Aug 31, 2005.

1. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

Where do you draw the line between using your trimmer and your 21" trim mower? What I mean is, how big of an area do you have to trim before the trimmer doesn't do the job? Couple square feet? More? I've got one day a week where I might be able to get away without even bringing the 21. I always bring it, and usually use it (depending on how close I get with the WB), but I'd just as soon leave it behind.

2. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

havent carried 21" for 2 years. if 42" walker dont go through gates... we dont do it. if walker cant mow it, we trim it.
  3. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I have this one lawn that has a strip of grass (average width is 6 feet) and about 80 feet long. There is a gate at each end and the house is on one side and a 45 degree bank on the other. I timed it one day and it actually took me longer to do it with the 21" than my SRM 230 which takes me about five minutes and since I'm already holding the trimmer, of course that's one step I do as well. Maybe about 500sq/ft.