Where do you dump leaves??

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Nick's Neat Landscaping, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Nick's Neat Landscaping

Nick's Neat Landscaping LawnSite Member

Where do you guys go to dump truck loads of leaves...And how much does it cost??? And How do they (dump site) charge (ton,Yard,etc)

2. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

You have a few options....

1) If you have some property of your own (which I'm guessing you don't) you can just dump them there and create a compost pile.

2) Call some local farmers and see if they have a compost pile that you could dump leaves/grass in. Usually the farmers will take your leaves for free as they use them for compost on their fields. I know for me, since my uncle has a blue berry farm, he has several LCO's come and dump all their leaves/grass in one of the compost piles, and it's free too.

3) Usually your near by land fill has some compost piles that you can bring your leaves to. I know for sure that it does cost to dump there, but I'm unsure how much it costs exactly.

3. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I dump them at a buddies farm. I also cut the 8 acres there so we bartered on the price a little since he lets me dump pretty much anything. :)

4. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I dump leaves at the county dump for free, grass is a whole other ball game though.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

After leaves are composted they become, what?

I've been dumping mine at the mulch yard, brush too.

They do charge but it's sure cheaper than the landfill, not to mention the smell is gone and I won't be driving away with flat tires.
    Support your local mulch composts.

6. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have acreage. I usually have a large brush pile going and light it up every couple weeks.

7. Isobel

Isobel LawnSite Senior Member

compost.

We dump at one of our suppliers, $9 per yard, but they always underestimate the number of yards we have.

8. CTmower

CTmower LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

My local town transfer station/dump has a free compost dump site. They turn around and sell it the next year. Ill be damed if I ever have to pay somewhere to dump where they turn around and make a profit. If anything they should be paying me to dump. I also have a local farm I can dump at.

9. Nick's Neat Landscaping

Nick's Neat Landscaping LawnSite Member

Ok all i was tryin to see was if anyone DUMPS leaves in a big huge dumpster because one of my buddies say he dumps leaves in a dumpster and then they come and get it personally i have some property About to build a huge garage facility so i think i'll just dump it in the back woods somewhere or find a farmer!

10. Jmart90

Jmart90 LawnSite Member

Here my town has a compost dump, it's a hole were you can dump your leaves, grass, and anything else that breaks down, I dump it all there.

Then, since I work for my town (I supervise the parks department and arena, and Nature trails hah, I learn a lot with it.) I end up takin the tractor and loading it into the town truck, and taking it out back and dumping it so I end up moving everything twice, Thank god I got permission to just take my stuff back there myself, seeing as I provided about 3/4s the pile haha. saved me a lot of work.