1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Where do you find good employees

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gmanlq, May 15, 2013.

1. gmanlq

gmanlq LawnSite Member

I can find tons of immigrants to do the cut, edging, trimming, pruning and blowing but I want someone that is legal and has a license to drive the truck plus knows how to use a standup with a Velke. Where do you guys go to find your good employees? I've tried Craigslist and didn't have much luck. I'm hoping a post I've placed here will turn up some good candidates.

Is there some website or recruiter site? Where do these big companies get their guys from?

Many thanks for your input.
  2. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

$1,000,000 question
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

have to pass a drug test too...
  4. QLM

QLM LawnSite Senior Member

Gave up on trying that. Seen solo for 4 years now. Try and figure out what will make you more efficient. Having a ton customers or and all of your money goes to shop ins tools and tons of money for bad labor. Or get efficient and have 80 great customers in a real tight route and work.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. mnglocker

mnglocker LawnSite Senior Member

Step one, be a good employer, and you will draw good employees. Step two, put the word out to you customers. They'll refer people that they would trust working on their property.
  6. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

Remember, and I am not saying you should pay less but paying them more neither makes you a better employer nor does it make them better employees.
  7. mnglocker

mnglocker LawnSite Senior Member

This is true. I Don't pay top dollar, I also don't skimp to the point that they can't justify staying. I just shoot straight and make sure that I buy lunch a couple times a week.
  8. SRT8

SRT8 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CA

I pay more, but I don't pay a worthless employee more. You will attract the better employees and get them to stay if you offer a better wage and offer a better working environment. If you pay very little even a good employee will leave you for a .50 cent pay increase. I have guys that sometimes get offered more money at other companies but decide to stay because of job security and a good work environment. I don't treat my employees like garbage, all my guys are my friends. Without employees my company is nothing, I cant maintain all the properties as a solo op.

The way I see it is:
    If you cant bill enough to pay a good wage and make a decent profit then the job is not worth doing.
  9. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

Ah no, I get mine fresh out of prison, that way they are all rehabilitated and ready to go!
    On that note, some are great fresh out of drug / alcohol rehab as well.

I am telling you, other than perhaps some minor mental issues these are some of the hardest workers you ever seen.