1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Where do you get Scag Paint?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by zz4guy, Dec 13, 2007.

1. zz4guy

zz4guy LawnSite Senior Member

The Scag dealer today wanted $20 for a spray can. Is there gold in their **** or what?? I'm just looking to do some touch ups on an old mower so it looks halfway decent.

Has anybod found a good match for scag orange?

2. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

cut out a sample from Turf magazine or take a small flat part from your Scag to a hardware or paint store that has the computer analyzer and they can probably make you a gallon of oil based enamel for not much more than $20, or just get a quart. Won't be perfect but good enough.

If you need the rattle can China grove here sells a huge selection, aka Wally world. Might have something close.

3. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

I tried to get it matched at an automotive paint dealer. They wanted $65 for a quart!!!

After I got up off the floor, I went to Wal-Mart and found some that was a pretty close match! My mower is 7 years old, and some parts have faded more than others. When looking at the new paint, it really doesn't look that bad.

4. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I'd like to see some pics of how your mower turned out. I've been looking for some way to repaint my Scag also. Seems like every used Scag shows rust like crazy, has anyone else noticed that? Maybe it's the metal, maybe it's the color. I don't know, all my Bob-Cats don't show rust like this Scag does. Tony

5. johnp900

johnp900 LawnSite Member

The Scag color is called "Cat's eye gold" They are powder coated at the factory.

6. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

There used to be a guy on Ebay that sold some that was "close enough". Came in spray cans.

7. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Get automotive paint mixed to match, at any good NAPA store. NAPA automotive paint is pretty good and pretty inexpensive.
    That is a real ripoff on the touchup paint from Scag. As I recall, a can of spray paint to match Grasshopper colors is only about $7.95.

8. Shultz

Shultz LawnSite Member

I posted the sherwin williams paint code numbers from my dealer way back when in 2004 for older and newer colors-do a search with my user name and cats eye gold-
    Hope this helps-

9. Ridin' Around

Ridin' Around LawnSite Senior Member

Try another dealer mine gets less than $15 for a spray can.

10. Grass Happens

Grass Happens LawnSite Senior Member

minneapolis-moline orange from farm and barns tractor resto series was pretty close.