Where do you get your seed?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by horseman201, Feb 28, 2002.

1. horseman201

horseman201 LawnSite Member

Where do you get your grass seed? Do you get it online? I've had a few clients ask to overseed this spring and I need to find the best but cheepest seed I can. Also where do you get your fertilizer?
  2. AGG Lawn Maintenance

AGG Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from Elberon

Check at a landscape nursery in your area. Don't get the cheapest seed. On the back of the bag is usually the % in which the seed germinates get one with about 80% or higher. Also depending on what the lawn conditions are go with that type of seed. Such as shady, part sun/shade, and full sun. The bags will also tell you what conditions are best for what seed. Do not get just one type of seed like rye or tall fescue. Get a blended seed (mixture). Do your research!!! Stay away from the buy one get one free deals. Investing in the right seed will help you from having reseed to all over again. I'm not saying you can put the seed down and run, of course you still have to fertilize etc.
    Hope that helps you .
  3. Harvestman

Harvestman LawnSite Member

I've had grest results with Lesco's seed & fertilizer. They are also very helpful in choosing the type of seed for different applications. Hope this helps..Harvestmsn
  4. I get seed at the local farmers coop. They sell a blend specifically for the local soils and climate. Never failed.
  5. For good seed & good price try www.seedsolutions.com
    I get my fertilizers at farmers CO-OP. Free delivery with 1 ton order.
  6. Craig Turf Management

Craig Turf Management LawnSite Senior Member

LESCO. I use Lesco Transition Blend almost exclusively. Good clean seed. Good germ. rate.

Bill Craig!
  7. lakegastonla

lakegastonla LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto on the Lesco seed. I used to use the Confederate blend with lesser results. Transistion blend is good stuff and a lot cheaper too. Deep emerald color and high germination rate.