Where do you guys dump your leafs?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by CoreyD, Mar 21, 2007.

1. CoreyD

CoreyD LawnSite Member

lol im still geting leaf jobs ive only had one grass cutting job so far..... and i have a 10x5 wooden enclosed trailer that i dump leafs in..... i use my lawnmower to pick them up..... anyways only place i know of that i can take the leafs to is the city dump.... its free but GOD it takes me 30 minutes to an hour using a pitch fork to throw them in the dumpster and i meen i can do it 2 times no problem but if its only 12:00 pm and im on my 3rd load it just wears me out.... anyways.... where do you guys dump your stuff?.... just curious.... if i could find someone that would let me dump on their property for like $10 - $20 a load id gladly do it.... but i just cant find anyone like that

2. CoreyD

CoreyD LawnSite Member

if this business works out for me i am definately going to buy a house out in the country where i can dump and burn them myself

3. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 5X10 trailer, with 3 foot wooden sides. In a season, I haul about 30 loads of grass clippings and 35 loads of leaves to the dump. They are all unloaded with a refuse hook and pitchfork. Unloading is certainly easier than loading! Your time of 30 minutes is about my time for most loads -- dry leaves a bit shorter, heavy and stinking grass clippings a bit longer (and more energy needed).

4. PhillyShells

PhillyShells LawnSite Member

Does the town where you live have a recycling center ? Where I live you can drop the leaves off.

5. ooo

ooo LawnSite Member

Do you use a pickup to haul the trailer or the jeep? If you had a pickup you could use a "Load Handler". Trailer is kind of a pain to unload

6. CoreyD

CoreyD LawnSite Member

Roger what is a "Refuse hook"? ur totally oposite of me loading is the easy part for me its unloading thats hard for me..... all i do is unhook my bagger and throw the leafs into the trailer.....

and ooo i use my jeep i dont have a pick up... sadly :( .... whats a "Load Handler"? lol

7. CoreyD

CoreyD LawnSite Member

and PhillyShells.... i dont think we have a recycling center.... im not even soppose to do commercial dumping at the city dump.... but.... i just tell em its from my yard lol.... it would be alot easier if i could just unhook the trailer and tilt it up and let the leafs jsut slide out

8. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

My local landfill is REALLY big on recycling. There are two HUGE seperate piles for leaves and other soft yard waste, the dump composts it and uses it to cap the landfill as they go along and im sure the city uses it for other things as well. Nothing is wasted!! All steel, aluminum, branches, even oil, etc. get put in seperate places to be recycled to the best of their useful ability.

9. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I usually take it to our local landscape supply place, where they have dump piles for grass/leaves and a separate one for sticks, brush, logs, etc. I throw it in the back of the truck for now, but cant wait to get a dump insert!!! No shoveling or anything!!! Just hit the button and it dumps its self.

10. GriffinLawnService

GriffinLawnService LawnSite Member

Use the roofers trick. They put a board with a chain connected to it an get the land fill to pull the chain with a dozer.

An I live in the country so I just dump and burn haha. It pays to live in the country I guess