Where do you guys fill up on the route

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by cod8825, Apr 19, 2008.

1. cod8825

cod8825 LawnSite Senior Member

Ok here is my question I do almost nothing but commercial accounts. It is my first year so all I have for spraying is a 200 gallon tank sprayer so my question is where do you fill up your tanks when you are out on the route to save from driving back to the shop. Most of my accounts are close to each other but are about fifteen miles from home. There are gas stations that have water facets that you can attach a garden hose but I am not sure of the stigma of mixing chemicals at a place where people are and such what are your thoughts. Most of my accounts are three acres and up and well there goes one tank. I have about 70 acres in accounts. Any help is appreciated

2. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

Call the City and ask where they would prefer you to fill. Most public works depts allow it on their fill pads

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Are gas stations OK with you filling up a 200 Gal tank? When I hydroseeded, we would fill at a lake, or river with gas powered pump. (setting up the pump took longer than filling my 650 gal tank...about 3 minutes) I'd chech with dnr first. Here in Indiana we can do that, but just across the state line in Michigan it's forbidden. You definitely get some looks! Oh, and be really carefull you don't overflow & spill!

Doesn't answer your question, but if you are doing 70 acres per round, I'd seriously look at a ride on. You'd be suprised how much time & $ you'd save in the long run:)
  4. (wi) Roots

(wi) Roots LawnSite Member
    from 9

Go back to the shop and fill!. Check your spray callibration. If your running out entirely to soon! your rate is off!. Never, fill up outside of shop. Unprofessional!
  5. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Totally agree!

You should never fill up at a customer's location. Not very professional IMO to do that!

I only fill at home!
  6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Calibration is good; you are probably applying 1.5 gallons per thousand. Of course you could walk faster, use a smaller nozzle and less pressure and use one gal per thousand.

I have a note in my written material. We may need to fill up with water at your location, if you have any concerns about this, please let us know.

Of course, you could always add an extra 200 gal tank--they are cheap. Hope you have good tires. 100 gallons weighs 834 pounds.
  7. cod8825

cod8825 LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks I actually never thought about calling the public works in the towns that I have accounts in I will call them and find out. I will see about fill stations and such. In Lee's Summit the town that I do most of my work in that is not a problem.
  8. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

I fill up at the shop now because a full tank can cover me for the day. But if you have bigger tanks or need to fill during the day, getting a water meter and using a hydrant works pretty good. That gets you back on the road quickly. Make sure you use regularly used hydrants, a tank full of rusty water sucks.
  9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Fire Stations and Fire Plugs, You may have to pay a permit fee.

But IMHO it might be time for a bigger truck. Don't discount a Trailer with a larger tank set up. Or go the Z sprayer route rather than dragging hose on 70 acres.
  10. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

I'm sure where ever you fill you are using a back flow device.