1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Where do you guys store your equiptment?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ConPro, Jan 21, 2003.

1. ConPro

ConPro LawnSite Member

I store my stuff at my home. But now I have 4 trucks and a garage full of mowers. Looking for a property to store my business. Where do you store your stuff? And if renting some where, what do you pay?
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

We just aquired a new office and storage location. It's an old barn, but it has been totally redone with office, board meeting area, work area, etc. It has really great security as well. A client offered it to me for fertilization services for himself and his father. It's a great deal!!!
  3. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

In our area you can rent a commercial 2 bay garage for about $400/mo or a 10x20 storage unit for about a buck 35 a month. I have even seen small service stations available for about $600-650 month.

I used to store all my stuff in my folks barn til they moved south, now its all in my garage -LOL!!!

Speaking of storage malls I know a gal who was renting three stalls for her equipment for something like 2 years. This past month they had the two end units open up, which has a huge turnabout on both sides. They removed the paneling for her so now she can drive straight thru both stalls, and I guess theyre a bit larger and she still saved money by not renting the third stall even with the added sf.
  4. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

We just found a great deal at a boat and RV storage. Its a metal building that is long enough to hold the truck and trailer, we can leave the rigg hooked up which is great. Got it fo 40 dollars a month in a secure fenced lot. Its nice to have the garage back as well as the driveway.
  5. goodbeus

goodbeus LawnSite Senior Member

I pay $135.00 a month for a 10x20 storage unit...
  6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

In the garage, in the yard and in the new 10X12 yard barn. The yard barn is great for lots of stuff that is just in the way. The only things in the garage now are the Walker, and walkaway items like the tools, blowers and trimmers. I wish I had a shop but I am still managing.
  7. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

I rent a 20 X 30 storage unit with electricity for $200 per month.

It's a complex of about 20 units, not really a mini storage, they are all about the same size, everyone that rents there seems to know each other and keep an eye on each others stuff.
  8. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I store everything in a pole barn. I believe it is key to have everything under cover not only to keep down on items walking away but to also keep the weather off of the equipment as much as possible.

9. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Here if we ever get any warm days to roof.

10. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Now we store on my property, a combination of a garage and on the trailers, but before owning a house/property, I rented commercial space for years. My last space was 900sf, full water/heat/electricity, 15ft high ceiling. It was wonderful to work out of, but a lot of my profit over the years went into paying rent and utilities for the space. Also, double check with your potential landlord about overnight storage outside of your unit, and also how strict he is about cleanliness. My landlord was very strict about no outside overnight storage, and the area outside of your unit had to be kept clean and neat. In one way it was good, because we had to keep our operation clean and efficient, but alot of times it was a pain in the butt.